H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax

+17
Jonesayy
gater.kiana
Devin McCullough
danirivera
BriaMcGhee1
Erika Edmonds
ROBBYECANADA
brianadreid16
Lara Hamdan
dkeiyathomas
alexushughes
ChrissyMaes
adamobrock
Kara Gordon
camenistic strickland
JessLockette
Admin
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax Empty 3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  Admin Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:56 am

Watch the Mythbusters video where they attempt to use science to bust the theory of the moon hoax. Reflect on the video and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. Select a piece of the moon hoax theory that you found to be most convincing. How did the Mythbusters attempt to bust this part of the moon hoax theory? Be sure to identify IV, DV, constants, DETAILED procedure, and the conclusion that they were able to draw from their experiment.

2. Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing? Be sure to support your stance.

Initial Posting: Due Thursday, September 1 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Sunday, September 4 at 11:59 pm.

Admin
Admin

https://ahancock.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax Empty Science

Post  JessLockette Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:24 pm

The importance of determining the validity of a source in science is, that you need a valid source in science, otherwise you are wrong and your evidence can't be proven. It is important to look at both sides of an issue because, eventhough you have your side, you still should look at the other side because your stance might change once you know both sides of the issue. It is sooo easy to believe the things that we see because, I think that humans just want a short simple answer to everything, so we just believe everything because we don't want to have to do tests to prove the theory wrong. We are just lazy people. The danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source is, that source could be wrong and you believe everything they say, so you will be thinking wrong thoughts about a subject. After watching both videos, my stance has changed. I now think that we actually did land on the moon because, the mythbusters proved all of the conspiracy theorists wrong with their tests.

JessLockette

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax Empty Re: 3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  camenistic strickland Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:34 pm

Before watching the 'Myth Busters Video' on the whole 'did we land on the moon debate', I was skeptical of the government being naive enough to actually fool the whole world, although I did beleive it was totally within their capability. I also didn't do any research but I stood by my thoughts firmly but not undoubtfully..... bounce Now after seeing the 'Myth Busters Video', I am doubtless that the government would be so naive and that the naysayers in my opinion are just doubtful and negative.... Cool Despite the fact that the 'naysayers' supported their doubts with good evidence, it was not as solid as the evidence and research that the 'myth busters' did which was very important...and also proves that, for me also, not doing enough research and making statements you beleive to be true or feel strongly about but in fact are false, not only makes you look bad but builds the opposing theory up higher..... albino lol!

camenistic strickland

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax Empty Myths Busted

Post  Kara Gordon Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:11 pm

It is important to make sure your source is valid or true because they might try to mislead you and it is always important to learn the truth even if you have to check out what other sources are saying like when you are doing a research project for school. It is important to do your homework and look at both sides of an equation because while one side has an argument another has evidence that discredits the other and if you really what to find out what is what then you need to hear both sides. It is so easy to believe everything that we see because it can be convincing and we like to believe that we can trust what other people are saying. The danger of not finding out the validity of a source is that you will have incorrect information and believing a lie. Depending on the situation it could not be so bad, but it is abarassing to find out you have believed a lie because you didn't check a source. After watching both videos I have to say that we still landed on the moon because the "evidence" can be disregarded through a few simple test.

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax Empty Busted Big Time

Post  Kara Gordon Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:13 pm

camenistic strickland wrote:Before watching the 'Myth Busters Video' on the whole 'did we land on the moon debate', I was skeptical of the government being naive enough to actually fool the whole world, although I did beleive it was totally within their capability. I also didn't do any research but I stood by my thoughts firmly but not undoubtfully..... bounce Now after seeing the 'Myth Busters Video', I am doubtless that the government would be so naive and that the naysayers in my opinion are just doubtful and negative.... Cool Despite the fact that the 'naysayers' supported their doubts with good evidence, it was not as solid as the evidence and research that the 'myth busters' did which was very important...and also proves that, for me also, not doing enough research and making statements you beleive to be true or feel strongly about but in fact are false, not only makes you look bad but builds the opposing theory up higher..... albino lol!
I have to agree with you cameron because the evidence supporting the moon landing is stronger and even invalidates the other side.

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax Empty Re: 3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  Kara Gordon Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:15 pm

JessLockette wrote: The importance of determining the validity of a source in science is, that you need a valid source in science, otherwise you are wrong and your evidence can't be proven. It is important to look at both sides of an issue because, eventhough you have your side, you still should look at the other side because your stance might change once you know both sides of the issue. It is sooo easy to believe the things that we see because, I think that humans just want a short simple answer to everything, so we just believe everything because we don't want to have to do tests to prove the theory wrong. We are just lazy people. The danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source is, that source could be wrong and you believe everything they say, so you will be thinking wrong thoughts about a subject. After watching both videos, my stance has changed. I now think that we actually did land on the moon because, the mythbusters proved all of the conspiracy theorists wrong with their tests.
I definitely agree with you on checking the validity of a source and that it is so easy to believe what we see because we want an easy answer.

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax Empty Unreliable Sources

Post  adamobrock Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Being sure that you have a proper source is a key part in scientific research and experimentation. If that source has invalid data, you come up with an invalid conclusion, and you support the invalid data. You also have to look at both side of an arguement because there could be key points on both sides that would either refute the other sides evidence, or it could also strengthen the other sides argument even further. bounce It is too easy to believe things that you see because sight is the sense that humans rely the most on. Not believing what you see is like calling your eyes a liar! affraid Doing the reasearch is too much of a hassle. Its way easier to stick with your own thoughts and build on that. If you don't check the validity of a source, you can create a theory that is completely falso. There are two main things wrong with that:One, you persuade people to believe in something untrue, and two, you give a bad reputaion to any other theory that yours refutes. pig I still stand my ground that the moon landing was not faked. The mythbusters episodes only strengthens my opinion. To see that almost every piece of evidence the theorists had for their conspiracy can be proven to occur on the moon is my foundation of evidence that we did, in fact, land on the moon. cherry

adamobrock

Back to top Go down

Post  adamobrock Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:54 pm

[quote="JessLockette"] Not only could your opinion change by looking at another side, but you can find evidence that proves or refutes your own opinion.

adamobrock

Back to top Go down

Post  adamobrock Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:59 pm

[quote="camenistic strickland"] Its not really about the government being naive enough to fool the world so much as the government thinking the world is naive enough to be fooled. But i still definitely agree with you. cheers

adamobrock

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrissyMaes Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:42 pm

It is important to do your homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance because just because one side convinced you doesn't make it's evidence true. One side could be very bias. It is easy to believe things that we see because that's how people understand the proof. Some people will not beleive things unless they see it with their own eyes. It's dangerous to not do your own research to ensure the validity of a source because, as I said, their evidence could be very bias and it could deceive you. If you only look at one side of a problem then of course that argument will be convincing if you don't hear any opposition to it. When I first watched the video on the moon landing hoax I was almost convinced that NASA never landed any men on the moon. But after watching the mythbusters argue against the hoax, I am convinced that they really did. Mythbusters tested the theories and gave evidence of how the things were possible, the hoax theorists just showed pictures and video without testing anything to make sure it was true or not.

ChrissyMaes

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax Empty Busted.

Post  alexushughes Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:47 pm

Before taking a stance, it's important to look at both sides of the issue because if you only look at one side then you can become convinced because you don't know the other side's argument, but if you look at both sides you can see what each side has to say and their reasoning for their side and make a fair judgment because you know both sides of the issue. It's easy to believe things that we see because they are right in front of us and we don't take the time out to really look into things and see if they are valid. By not doing research to ensure the validity of a source, we believe what we are told/what we see and from then on will share possibly invalid information which can create problems. Before the hoax videos I believed we went to the moon but after I wasn't completely sure. But with the mythbusters recreating the conspiracy theories of the video, I see that you can't just believe something because someone says it and shows you an example. The you can't believe one only because you heard one side of the issue and haven't looked into it.

alexushughes

Back to top Go down

Post  alexushughes Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:55 pm

[quote="ChrissyMaes"]nicely done chrissy! all of your points make sense and it's true only looking at one side could just be biased. Some of our stuff was alike so of course I agree with it. You worded things well also that probably make more sense when you read it than mine does.

alexushughes

Back to top Go down

Post  alexushughes Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:57 pm

[quote="camenistic strickland"] Unlike you I did believe that NASA would fool the whole world because it was in their capability, because being the first to land on the moon was a great honor and such a big deal. Mythbusters did do a good job of persuading people that the conspiracy theories were not real and proved that there was a way to show that and you cannot believe everything you see.

alexushughes

Back to top Go down

Post  dkeiyathomas Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:31 pm

The importance of doing your homework especially in science is very important. If you just look at one side of the stance then you will only have that view point. You wont be able to see the other side and see if its right. The dangers of not looking at both sides in a stance in science can cause a major problem because you may get the wrong information and answers. After watching both of the videos, I still believe that the landing on the moon was a hoax because of the waving of the flag. There was still no evidence of how they "claimed" the flag waved on the moon.

dkeiyathomas

Back to top Go down

Post  dkeiyathomas Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:33 pm

[quote="Kara Gordon"] I agree with you all the way til you got to the part about the evidence. I still believe that we didnt land because they didnt explain how the flag was "waving".

dkeiyathomas

Back to top Go down

Post  dkeiyathomas Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:34 pm

[quote="JessLockette"] I still dont think we landed on the moon because of the flag "waving" situation.

dkeiyathomas

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax Empty Question 2

Post  Lara Hamdan Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:00 pm

The vailidity of a source is probably the most important thing in the science world. There are so many questions left to resolve that it might seem overwhelming. With so many answers needed in little time, many thoughts and ideas can occur.But how can we know which is the right right one. That's why we need evidence and a good statement to go along with it. The subject of science is a real and trusted topic that can't have answers that change overtime like a rumor. That's why when you have a solid source with evidence to back it up, there won't be an issue with who's side it's on or the any fact being "bias". A reason why many things are so easy to beleive when we see them is because every person wants answers and they want them fast and to the point. So fast that we fail to look deeper, between the 'lines' and figure out the real meaning or another peice of evidence.
However, on the subject on the moon hoax, my opinion stays the same. I never beleived the consperitors and i belived the US did land on the moon in 1969. Im glad the myth busters had done these tests to prove the point that we did land on the moon. Thats the evidence i believe one should have.

Lara Hamdan

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax Empty Mythbusters

Post  brianadreid16 Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:17 pm

One thing that really got to me from the conspiracy video was the flag moving on the moon when the moon has no atmophere. In the Mythbusters video they attempted to but that theory to rest by making a very similar repica of the flag and taking it to a vaccum chamber in Alabama. They used a control variable by shaking the flag at regular atmospheric pressure. Then they turned on the vaccum chamber and shook the flag wich moved soley by momemtum.
IV:atmospheric pressure
DV: movement of flag
Constants: same flag, same person turning flag
They concluded that you don't need air to cause a flag to move. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMBCfuKs9i8&feature=related

brianadreid16

Back to top Go down

Post  brianadreid16 Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:19 pm

[quote="dkeiyathomas"]
JessLockette wrote: I still dont think we landed on the moon because of the flag "waving" situation.
Check out this video bcuz the flag waving made me question wether we did or not too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMBCfuKs9i8&feature=related

brianadreid16

Back to top Go down

Post  ROBBYECANADA Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:46 pm

2. Discuss the importance of determining the validity of a source in science. Why is it important for us to do our homework and look at both sides of an issue before taking a stance? Why is it so easy to believe things that we see? What is the danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source? After watching both videos, where do you stand in regards to the moon landing? Be sure to support your stance.
ANSWER: Like a mentioned in my last response, I did additional research before I decided on my stance on the video. The first video that we saw about the moon landing was very convincing; all the evidence pointed toward us not landing on the moon, but after I saw the arguments against the arguments I wasn't too sure. If you don't know much about a topic, then it's best to do A LOT of research because just one source can have A LOT of false information. I think that we did land on the moon. First of all, I don't think that all of the people involved with the moon landing would lie about it. Lastly, the evidence shown in the video gave evidence as to why the odd things that made people believe that we didn't land on the moon occurred. It's still possible for everything to be a hoax, I just find it unlikely.

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

Post  ROBBYECANADA Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:50 pm

JessLockette wrote: The importance of determining the validity of a source in science is, that you need a valid source in science, otherwise you are wrong and your evidence can't be proven. It is important to look at both sides of an issue because, eventhough you have your side, you still should look at the other side because your stance might change once you know both sides of the issue. It is sooo easy to believe the things that we see because, I think that humans just want a short simple answer to everything, so we just believe everything because we don't want to have to do tests to prove the theory wrong. We are just lazy people. The danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source is, that source could be wrong and you believe everything they say, so you will be thinking wrong thoughts about a subject. After watching both videos, my stance has changed. I now think that we actually did land on the moon because, the mythbusters proved all of the conspiracy theorists wrong with their tests.
I agree with like EVERYTHING that you said lol! . People always look for quick answers to everything. I could tell someone that I was the first to land on the moon & without doing an additional research they might believe me.

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

Post  ROBBYECANADA Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:55 pm

[quote="dkeiyathomas"]The importance of doing your homework especially in science is very important. If you just look at one side of the stance then you will only have that view point. You wont be able to see the other side and see if its right. The dangers of not looking at both sides in a stance in science can cause a major problem because you may get the wrong information and answers. After watching both of the videos, I still believe that the landing on the moon was a hoax because of the waving of the flag. There was still no evidence of how they "claimed" the flag waved on the moon.[/quote
If you look at youtube you'll see that they DO have evidence for why the flag moved. lol! Just do some more research!!!! ( Laughing jp jp) But other than that, I agree with what you said about the importance of doing more research.

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

Post  Erika Edmonds Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:23 pm

[quote="brianadreid16"] thanks for putting this on here! That was the only one I was unsure about. It makes a lot of sense if you think about it...

Erika Edmonds

Back to top Go down

Post  Erika Edmonds Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:31 pm

[quote="alexushughes"][quote="camenistic strickland"] They weren't really persuading anyone; they were just pointing out the facts that we definately went to the moon.

Erika Edmonds

Back to top Go down

Post  BriaMcGhee1 Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:01 pm

It is extremely important to do your research in science because of the fact that when you hear one side then you automatically think that it is right. . the first conspiracy video that we watched had me thinking that the government was straight up lying to us! but after I watched the mythbuster video it made me rethink all of that. I think it is because the conspiracy theory video showed proof but the mythbuster video actually showed facts and did experiments to prove what they were saying. Now that i am confused about what to believe i know that when you hear both sides it can help or confuse you O_o . overall i think that they both showed good views on what was right and wrong.

BriaMcGhee1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next