H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - The Colony

+19
Hayz.Adkison
Ben Johnson
arielaskew
ssaraheadess
KristinaRider
Zach Huhmann
chrisprincivalli
serenasomerville
Cheli Foster
ScubaSteve.Smith
maryamnewman
BrittanyE
Azia Aldridge
Arock iHurdle
BriannaMoore
kurt.ragan
DanManzella
lindsay-moody
Admin
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

5th Hour - The Colony Empty 5th Hour - The Colony

Post  Admin Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:23 am

Watch four excerpts from Discovery Channel's The Colony.
Episode 1 - Part 1 is located at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhF4IBnJUas .
Episode 1 - Part 2 is located at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tgVH4eYuZY .
Episode 1 - Part 3 is located at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI5z7EiT6Hk .
And Episode 1 - Part 4 is located at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FfGz8YprBg .

Each video segment is approximately 10 minutes in length. Reflect on the videos, and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. Of the things the colonists made priorities during their beginning time on the compound, which one do you think was most important? Why? Which of their priorities would not have been a priority if you had been involved in the colony? Why?

2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?

Initial Posting: Due Thursday, September 15 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Sunday, September 18 at 11:59 pm.

Admin
Admin

https://ahancock.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony Empty i wish i was in the colony

Post  lindsay-moody Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:30 pm

I think it would be extremely cool to be on the colony. I'm sure it'd be difficult and I would get crabby sometimes, but i love being outdoors. I go camping all the time and have been in hostile camping situations where i got lost and had to identify different plants that i could eat safely while i found my way back with my fellow campers and i know several methods of water filtration and purification. I'm also CPR certified Smile

lindsay-moody

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony Empty colony

Post  DanManzella Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:27 pm

first of all i dont understand why these people would put their lives on hold for 50 days and put themselves in a situation like this when there is nothing to gain out of it. it seems strange how ten complete strangers from different parts of the untied stats are so outgoing, friendly to each other, and work well together early in the begining. i find it amazing that a 70 year old man is up for this challenge. i admire their filter system, i dont think i would have been able to think of that on my own. i know for a fact i wouldnt have thought of the jumper cables and the batery to make a fire. since this isnt a real life situation where the intruders needed water i wouldnt have shared with them.

i feel the most important priority they did in the begining was getting drinkable water because you can only go so long with out water. all the priorities they did seem important to me so this question is a little tougher. this might be a weak answer but i guess obtaining the medical supplies wouldnt be a priority for me just let because if i couldnt obtain the things i needed to survive i wouldnt need any medical supply to help me

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony Empty Love this show.

Post  kurt.ragan Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:29 pm

when looking at the priorities that the colonist picked, they were all essential. the one that i would have worked on obtaining first is the water because you can only live so ling without it. But i wouldn't have left security till the end. the one i would have been least worried about is shelter because it should have been obvious that it wouldn't have been hard to find for them.

a side note that bothers me is that since it is a tv show there is no real way for them to protect themselves to their full potential because u cant really hurt anyone on t.v. i dont think anything would have been taken at all if reno would of been able to do whatever he wanted.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony Empty Re: 5th Hour - The Colony

Post  BriannaMoore Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:55 pm

I believe all of the priorities that the colony made were of equal importance. You need just as much clean water, than you do shelter and security. All of these priorities would be important to me because you need all of them to survive of course. The only thing that I truly disliked about this show is their way of defending themselves. In a real situation as this, you kill anyone you can't trust, survival by ANY means would be my motto for the 50+ days that i was there. And the location that they chose for shelter had to be the DUMBEST and most obvious place ever! Right behind a tent??? Like anyone in their right mind would not check the house behind a giant white tent?????? Rolling Eyes

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:00 pm

DanManzella wrote:first of all i don't understand why these people would put their lives on hold for 50 days and put themselves in a situation like this when there is nothing to gain out of it. it seems strange how ten complete strangers from different parts of the untied stats are so outgoing, friendly to each other, and work well together early in the beginning. i find it amazing that a 70 year old man is up for this challenge. i admire their filter system, i don't think i would have been able to think of that on my own. i know for a fact i wouldnt have thought of the jumper cables and the battery to make a fire. since this isn't a real life situation where the intruders needed water i wouldnt have shared with them.

i feel the most important priority they did in the begining was getting drinkable water because you can only go so long with out water. all the priorities they did seem important to me so this question is a little tougher. this might be a weak answer but i guess obtaining the medical supplies wouldnt be a priority for me just let because if i couldnt obtain the things i needed to survive i wouldnt need any medical supply to help me

I found the 70 year old quite amusing but Im quite worried about him living through the 50 days though... Suspect But I do agree about the intruders I would not have shared and I probably wouldve threatened them or killed them in order to protect myself and group.

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony Empty I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!

Post  Arock iHurdle Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:16 pm

Let me start by saying, this series is absolutely BRILLIANT!! ok now to the point. I think if i was placed in the colony for 50+ days i would thrive in it. Although some might beg to differ I am very crafty and I "think on my toes". i seem to work better under pressure. And, even though I'm not an aggressive person naturally, i protect my own. The situations and circumstances this people are living under i believe i would adapt to accordingly and be a major contribution to the group. I would definitely have to say that the colonists need to develop an organized security system and obtain or make some defense mechanisms or weapons. But, as far as me handling myself in the colony, i think i would do really good. Cool

Arock iHurdle

Back to top Go down

Post  Arock iHurdle Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:18 pm

lindsay-moody wrote:I think it would be extremely cool to be on the colony. I'm sure it'd be difficult and I would get crabby sometimes, but i love being outdoors. I go camping all the time and have been in hostile camping situations where i got lost and had to identify different plants that i could eat safely while i found my way back with my fellow campers and i know several methods of water filtration and purification. I'm also CPR certified Smile
Lindsay i think you and I would be great in the colony. You know alot about the outdoors and im an innovator! Smile We should definitely be on this show.!

Arock iHurdle

Back to top Go down

Post  Arock iHurdle Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:22 pm

kurt.ragan wrote:when looking at the priorities that the colonist picked, they were all essential. the one that i would have worked on obtaining first is the water because you can only live so ling without it. But i wouldn't have left security till the end. the one i would have been least worried about is shelter because it should have been obvious that it wouldn't have been hard to find for them.

a side note that bothers me is that since it is a tv show there is no real way for them to protect themselves to their full potential because u cant really hurt anyone on t.v. i dont think anything would have been taken at all if reno would of been able to do whatever he wanted.
Kurt i see what you mean about the "true defense" part of the show. If these were absolutely realistic situations, I think the colonists would have handled themselves much better. And, i wouldn't have made security my last priority either. It would definitely be one of my top three!!

Arock iHurdle

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony Empty i would enjoy myself

Post  Azia Aldridge Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:35 pm

I think it would be fun to be a colonists. I would learn how to live without something getting handed right to me. I know i would get mad because some people wouldn't want to work everyday, but i would. Things i would tell the people i am getting to know is, everything i learned during school some things a even seen on tv. I would have thought of every possible way to get clean water, how to clean the food we find and catch as best as i could. I think i would be really confused but as the days go on, I would know how to do things in a different way.

Azia Aldridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Azia Aldridge Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:57 pm

lindsay-moody wrote:I think it would be extremely cool to be on the colony. I'm sure it'd be difficult and I would get crabby sometimes, but i love being outdoors. I go camping all the time and have been in hostile camping situations where i got lost and had to identify different plants that i could eat safely while i found my way back with my fellow campers and i know several methods of water filtration and purification. I'm also CPR certified Smile

i think you would do good because you already know what type of things you should do to live. Just like you said i think you would have some difficult times, but it like would clear up as the days go by.

Azia Aldridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Azia Aldridge Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:19 pm

BriannaMoore wrote:
DanManzella wrote:first of all i don't understand why these people would put their lives on hold for 50 days and put themselves in a situation like this when there is nothing to gain out of it. it seems strange how ten complete strangers from different parts of the untied stats are so outgoing, friendly to each other, and work well together early in the beginning. i find it amazing that a 70 year old man is up for this challenge. i admire their filter system, i don't think i would have been able to think of that on my own. i know for a fact i wouldnt have thought of the jumper cables and the battery to make a fire. since this isn't a real life situation where the intruders needed water i wouldnt have shared with them.

I found the 70 year old quite amusing but Im quite worried about him living through the 50 days though... Suspect But I do agree about the intruders I would not have shared and I probably wouldve threatened them or killed them in order to protect myself and group.

I agree with you when you say you found it amazing when a 70 year old when went up for this 50+ day challenge. I also think their water filter system was a good way. They are really smartb of thinking about using the sand and to get a piece of material.

Azia Aldridge

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony Empty What The?.........Really?

Post  BrittanyE Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:57 pm

2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?
If I were placed in a similar scenario for50+ days I would go crazy. I would be the person who always wants to fight and will be stingy and try to ration the food. The abilities that I could bring to the group is my ability to think rationally in times of panic and fear. I could also use my common sense and make good decisions that will benefit everyone.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:58 pm

Azia Aldridge wrote:

i think you would do good because you already know what type of things you should do to live. Just like you said i think you would have some difficult times, but it like would clear up as the days go by.
I would be the person who always wants to fight and will be stingy and try to ration the food. The abilities that I could bring to the group is my ability to think rationally in times of panic and fear. I could also use my common sense and make good decisions that will benefit everyone.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:59 pm

lindsay-moody wrote:I think it would be extremely cool to be on the colony. I'm sure it'd be difficult and I would get crabby sometimes, but i love being outdoors. I go camping all the time and have been in hostile camping situations where i got lost and had to identify different plants that i could eat safely while i found my way back with my fellow campers and i know several methods of water filtration and purification. I'm also CPR ceI would be the person who always wants to fight and will be stingy and try to ration the food. The abilities that I could bring to the group is my ability to think rationally in times of panic and fear. I could also use my common sense and make good decisions that will benefit everyone.rtified Smile

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  maryamnewman Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:18 pm

A top priority of mine would be water. Food can wait. Water is an essential part of short term survival and members of the colony would not be able to function without it, though the others are quite significant as well. A human body can function for a longer period of time without food than without water, and of course it is your own health that comes before anything.

maryamnewman

Back to top Go down

Post  maryamnewman Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:23 pm

DanManzella wrote:first of all i dont understand why these people would put their lives on hold for 50 days and put themselves in a situation like this when there is nothing to gain out of it. it seems strange how ten complete strangers from different parts of the untied stats are so outgoing, friendly to each other, and work well together early in the begining. i find it amazing that a 70 year old man is up for this challenge. i admire their filter system, i dont think i would have been able to think of that on my own. i know for a fact i wouldnt have thought of the jumper cables and the batery to make a fire. since this isnt a real life situation where the intruders needed water i wouldnt have shared with them.

I'm thinking the same exact thing after watching this episode. Like, why? If there's no pay then why waste your time and threaten your own health in that type of way? I understand that it is important to learn survival strategies, but in such an intense way is uneccesary. Psh. Good on that one

maryamnewman

Back to top Go down

Post  maryamnewman Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:25 pm

Arock iHurdle wrote:Let me start by saying, this series is absolutely BRILLIANT!! ok now to the point. I think if i was placed in the colony for 50+ days i would thrive in it. Although some might beg to differ I am very crafty and I "think on my toes". i seem to work better under pressure. And, even though I'm not an aggressive person naturally, i protect my own. The situations and circumstances this people are living under i believe i would adapt to accordingly and be a major contribution to the group. I would definitely have to say that the colonists need to develop an organized security system and obtain or make some defense mechanisms or weapons. But, as far as me handling myself in the colony, i think i would do really good. Cool
You look like you would do something like that! I couldnt do it for no reason at all.

maryamnewman

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony Empty If Scubasteve was fighting for survival !!

Post  ScubaSteve.Smith Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:44 pm

If i was placed on the show i would bring I would contribute the hard work at making fires,bringing the buckets of water back to the colony, and fighting for protection. I used to Box, so i would be good at defending the colony. Also i am often in the weight room, so i have strength to help out with the hard work.

ScubaSteve.Smith

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony Empty Colony HERE I COME!!!!

Post  Cheli Foster Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:57 pm

I wish i was on the colony. I definantly would be quite frustrated especially if there were people who just wanted to take the easy way of everything. I also would probably be alot more jumpy than they are but also very serious. I think if I were to go on the colony i would definantly bring a sense of leadership and motivation. I like to get things done by priority. So I would be able to mentally map out what needed to get done in order of importance to the colony. I would be there to encourage them after a big riot and say okay, DANG! WEGOT BEAT! But, now lets get back up and figure out how to stop them quicker next time. Or say No dont go take a nap, we are all tired. Help out dude! So I defianlty think I could bring alot to the colony if I were involved with the show :Smile Maybe in a few years

Cheli Foster

Back to top Go down

Post  serenasomerville Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:31 pm

the essential resource that i would of been most worried about is water. we can only go so long without food. i could do without food. the essential resource that i wouldn't of been worried about would of been the shelter. if it came down to it i could do without shelter it isn't a dier situation. i wonder why people would put themselves in this position. its reality television.

serenasomerville

Back to top Go down

Post  serenasomerville Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:34 pm

ScubaSteve.Smith wrote:If i was placed on the show i would bring I would contribute the hard work at making fires,bringing the buckets of water back to the colony, and fighting for protection. I used to Box, so i would be good at defending the colony. Also i am often in the weight room, so i have strength to help out with the hard work.
so you be the muscle man of the group i would love to see that . i didn't know you boxed i learned something new. but in my opion i think you should also use your brain and not only your muscles.

serenasomerville

Back to top Go down

Post  serenasomerville Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:38 pm

Cheli Foster wrote:I wish i was on the colony. I definantly would be quite frustrated especially if there were people who just wanted to take the easy way of everything. I also would probably be alot more jumpy than they are but also very serious. I think if I were to go on the colony i would definantly bring a sense of leadership and motivation. I like to get things done by priority. So I would be able to mentally map out what needed to get done in order of importance to the colony. I would be there to encourage them after a big riot and say okay, DANG! WEGOT BEAT! But, now lets get back up and figure out how to stop them quicker next time. Or say No dont go take a nap, we are all tired. Help out dude! So I defianlty think I could bring alot to the colony if I were involved with the show :Smile Maybe in a few years
you seem like a leader. you seem like you are a very determined person and i could see you doing what you say. maybe you will be on there one day i'll be looking out for you.

serenasomerville

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisprincivalli Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:14 pm

I am sure i could handle the situation. Also i believe i could bring a lot of skills like i have been away from my family for more than 3 weeks so emotionally i would be prepared for the colony. Also i have a lot of skills with camping and hunting. over the past few years i counted every time i have camped and im at 106 overnights. plus ive climbed about 9 mountains. Ha i remember one time me and my friends chased a bear down a mountain.... not too smart
Very Happy

chrisprincivalli

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisprincivalli Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:17 pm

serenasomerville wrote:the essential resource that i would of been most worried about is water. we can only go so long without food. i could do without food. the essential resource that i wouldn't of been worried about would of been the shelter. if it came down to it i could do without shelter it isn't a dier situation. i wonder why people would put themselves in this position. its reality television.
I absolutely agree with you that water is the most important thing. A human cant even go 4 days without it. Water=Life

chrisprincivalli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next