H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour - The Colony

+19
Trey Neal
AlexisGonzalez
alexushughes
camenistic strickland
Jharold21
BriaMcGhee1
ROBBYECANADA
Devin McCullough
ChrissyMaes
jackie!!schultz
adamobrock
Logan Huddleston1
Erika Edmonds
Kara Gordon
brianadreid16
dkeiyathomas
JessLockette
Jonesayy
Admin
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony Empty 3rd Hour - The Colony

Post  Admin Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:23 am

Watch four excerpts from Discovery Channel's The Colony.
Episode 1 - Part 1 is located at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhF4IBnJUas .
Episode 1 - Part 2 is located at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tgVH4eYuZY .
Episode 1 - Part 3 is located at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI5z7EiT6Hk .
And Episode 1 - Part 4 is located at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FfGz8YprBg .

Each video segment is approximately 10 minutes in length. Reflect on the videos, and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. Of the things the colonists made priorities during their beginning time on the compound, which one do you think was most important? Why? Which of their priorities would not have been a priority if you had been involved in the colony? Why?

2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?

Initial Posting: Due Thursday, September 15 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Sunday, September 18 at 11:59 pm.
\

Admin
Admin

https://ahancock.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony Empty I'm a survivor

Post  Jonesayy Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:38 pm

In my mind its always I have t do what it takes to survive. I know wen u re actually put in a situation things aredifferen but honestly I think I could survive. People may see me as smeone who is a joke and useless but I beg to differ. Iwould have cooked that snake andate it if thats what it took to survive. The only thing I think I would contribute to the group is getting food. I am very patient when need to be speially if it cameto gettin food. I feel I would survive also because I would fight to the dath no one wouldbe able to take the food away because I would be ready to kill. I would survive beause I would be determined to survive.

Jonesayy

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony Empty What it takes to survive

Post  JessLockette Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:01 pm

If I was placed in the same scenario, I think I would be able to fight the people that tried to take our stuff (not all the people). We worked hard to get what we had and im not gonna let other people take it away. I would be able to try and catch food like fish. If i was in that situatuin, then i would do whetever it takes to survive. I think that when im there i would forget about all the technology and the luxuries that we have now and be able to adapt to stay alive.

JessLockette

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony Empty Re: 3rd Hour - The Colony

Post  JessLockette Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:05 pm

[quote="Jonesayy"] i agree. i would seriously kill them if they tried to take our hard earned food of water.

JessLockette

Back to top Go down

Post  dkeiyathomas Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:38 pm

[quote="JessLockette"] I agree that I would be able to fight off some of the people but not all of them. I also agree that we would be able to find food such as fish

dkeiyathomas

Back to top Go down

Post  dkeiyathomas Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:39 pm

[quote="Jonesayy"] I with you because I would be mad if someone tried to take the hard hunted fish.

dkeiyathomas

Back to top Go down

Post  dkeiyathomas Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:42 pm

I believe that if I was put in this situation I would be able to survive and fight off some of the people. I would be able to survive off fish, crackers, and the food in the cans. Although we would have to go get water from the banks (or whatever we get the water from), I think I would be able to survive in this place. I would bring about strength and not being lazy to the group. If we needed water or we needed some fish to eat, I would volunteer to go get it.

Last edited by dkeiyathomas on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add more information)

dkeiyathomas

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony Empty If It Were Me....

Post  brianadreid16 Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:43 pm

If I had to be in this situation for 50+ days I think I would bring to the table protection. I would be able to ward off anyone who had come and invaded our space. I would also be able to be like the organizer of the group and designate jobs for each person to do at different times of the day until we make it out of there.

brianadreid16

Back to top Go down

Post  brianadreid16 Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:47 pm

[quote="dkeiyathomas"] I completely agree and I think I could do the same thing as far as volunteering and just helping out in general.

brianadreid16

Back to top Go down

Post  brianadreid16 Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:49 pm

[quote="JessLockette"] I think most people do that in situations like these, forget about all the new/newer technologies and go back to the simole and just as effective basics.

brianadreid16

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony Empty Survival

Post  Kara Gordon Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:53 pm

The most important thing they did when they started out was figuring out how to get water and how to clean it properly so that it could be drank without any ill side effects. I think i would have done what they did with getting water, food , and shelter. The only thing I would have done differently was set up a gaurd at night to protect from outsiders coming in and harming me and the others because if we are killed by outside people than survivng the disease and nature is worthless.

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony Empty Fight?

Post  Kara Gordon Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:56 pm

JessLockette wrote:If I was placed in the same scenario, I think I would be able to fight the people that tried to take our stuff (not all the people). We worked hard to get what we had and im not gonna let other people take it away. I would be able to try and catch food like fish. If i was in that situatuin, then i would do whetever it takes to survive. I think that when im there i would forget about all the technology and the luxuries that we have now and be able to adapt to stay alive.
I do not know if I would be able to fight against outsiders very well or not and I know everyone would not be able to do so? If you were in the same situation would you see who was best able to fight off outsiders?

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony Empty Great Idea

Post  Kara Gordon Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:59 pm

brianadreid16 wrote:If I had to be in this situation for 50+ days I think I would bring to the table protection. I would be able to ward off anyone who had come and invaded our space. I would also be able to be like the organizer of the group and designate jobs for each person to do at different times of the day until we make it out of there.
Protection and organization are great things in this situation, but it is also important to listen to other people in type of situation because they might know something else and it could be life or death.

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  Erika Edmonds Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:59 pm

If i was on the show, i would bring intelligence and rationality to the table. i wouldn't be all useless, wandering around on a bike. I wouldn't automatically yell at the people to leave, nor would i readily give them supplies. We would have a conversation, and maybe it would turn out that our colony would be strengthened with them joining. The narrarator guy said there was strength in number, and with only 5 or 6 people, we are weak. Yes it means more mouths to feed and all that, but that stuff was going to run out soon anyway. At least with the added group, there will be more people to help with the daily survival tasks.

Didn't it seem like they hardly prepared at all for the impending mob invasion? They had like a fire extinguisher, some wood, and a pole. Come on now, make some spears out of the wood or something. Instead of having most everyone inside guarding the stuff, they should have nailed all the extra wood lying around on the windows and doors (except for one) so no one could get in. If i was on that show, we would have not gotten jacked like some punks. afro

Erika Edmonds

Back to top Go down

Post  Erika Edmonds Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:05 pm

[quote="Jonesayy"] I know right! i can't believe they just wasted that snake. If the snake actually had venom, it would only be in it's saliva glands, so chop off the head and you got yourself some good eatin'.

Last edited by Erika Edmonds on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Erika Edmonds

Back to top Go down

Post  Erika Edmonds Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:07 pm

[quote="brianadreid16"] i think after a while people wouldn't want someone telling them what to do all the time...

Erika Edmonds

Back to top Go down

Post  Logan Huddleston1 Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:29 pm

The biggest priority is definitely water. You can only go about a week with out water at the most, and that is if you are doing nothing and not sweating. You need water to survive and that is the end of it. I do think that after the first time they had invaders that they should have came up with some type of plan for just in case there were intruders again and especially if there were more. Their priorities were good for the information that they had. There didn't sound like there was anything wrong with them.

Logan Huddleston1

Back to top Go down

Post  adamobrock Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:46 pm

After watching this episode, i believe the most important priority they had was finding water. The human body cannot survive for long without water. It could also be used for more than drinking. It can be used for sanitation, as well as cooking. Not only did they find water, they also found a way to filter it and boil it. By filtering and bioling the water, they made sure it was safe for consumption. Had they not done that, the water could have contained many harmful pathogens.
Were I in that situation (which i will hopefully never be in) my first priority would be to find a safe and secure place to stay. I feel most at ease with a good, dry structure over my head.

adamobrock

Back to top Go down

Post  adamobrock Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:49 pm

[quote="Jonesayy"]While I admit that you would have the courage and abilty to protect yourself from invaders, it takes more than that. Sometomes it would be better to avoid confrontation, to work around it. For that, you need understanding and logic.

adamobrock

Back to top Go down

Post  adamobrock Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:52 pm

[quote="brianadreid16"]The best thing people need during a time like this is organization. It helps take the chaos out of the ordeal. However, you can also get the people that dont want to deal with leaders and organization, that disrupt the flow of the group. A sense of equality among everybody can help to avoid confrontation within your group.

adamobrock

Back to top Go down

Post  jackie!!schultz Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:47 pm

Honestly, I really dont think that I would do very well in a situation like in the Colony. I would not do very well at killing animals for food, dealing with injuries, or staying calm. Plus I am super uncoordinated; not a great asset. But i think i have some valuable skills to offer. I am good at cooking, a good negotiator, and can do a lot of different tasks, instead of just one. Hopefully, though, i would never need to do any of that!

jackie!!schultz

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrissyMaes Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:20 pm

I think the most important priority that the colonists chose was fishing/hunting because it is the hardest task and will take most of their time. The least important would probably be getting water because they could get multiple buckets at a time rather than get one every day. If I were put in this situation I don't think I would survive... or I would and I would just hate every moment of it. I would be there to help out with any situation I was needed in if I knew it was what I had to do to survive.

ChrissyMaes

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony Empty Ha Ha

Post  Devin McCullough Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:47 pm

Those videos were super funny, but shocking at the same time. I was really surprised when the girl got pepper sprayed and the man got beat up. If I was placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days i think i would do really well because i would know for the most part what to expect and what to do and what not to do. I would bring a lot of help to the group like when it came to fishing and after the girl got pepper sprayed i would not have hesitated to start fighting and protect our materials.

Devin McCullough

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony Empty I just couldn't do it.

Post  ROBBYECANADA Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:00 am

2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?
----I'm really not sure how I would do. My knowledge of living without normal resources (water, electricity, and etc) is limited. I would probably be the first one to die. lol! I think that my biggest attribute that I could bring would be my ability to think about things more in depth; I could try to see how certain things would affect the group in the long run. However, even that would be limited. I just couldn't do it.

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

Post  ROBBYECANADA Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:16 am

[quote="Devin McCullough"[/quote]
Well, obviously it wouldn't be that easy. lol! I don't think that anybody would really KNOW what to expect in a situation like this. Most people are use to having all they need so getting it themselves would be a challenge. And fighting isn't always the best option; it could make things worse.

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next