H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - Population Boom

+12
david71795
BrittanyE
JennyHuynh123
KristinaRider
chrisprincivalli
BriannaMoore
kurt.ragan
Arock iHurdle
ssaraheadess
Ben Johnson
DanManzella
Admin
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5th Hour - Population Boom Empty 5th Hour - Population Boom

Post  Admin Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:40 pm

Experts insist that the population of the Earth is increasing at a rate faster than the planet can support. Read “The Global Population Conundrum,” at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/global-population-conundrum.html . This is an interview between Nova and population expert, Lester Brown. Then answer one of the questions that follow:

1. What changes does Brown believe will have to take place in order for our world to be more successful?

2. What would happen if McCluer North became overpopulated? What kind of problems would it cause? What kind of day to day changes would have to be made (besides building a bigger school) to accommodate a larger student population? Name at least three specific problems of accommodations in your discussion.

Admin
Admin

https://ahancock.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Population Boom Empty Disaster

Post  DanManzella Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:16 pm

2. What would happen if McCluer North became overpopulated? What kind of problems would it cause? What kind of day to day changes would have to be made (besides building a bigger school) to accommodate a larger student population? Name at least three specific problems of accommodations in your discussion.

if mccluer north was overpopulated it would be very unpleasant. lunch would be even more over crowded, so there would be more demand for the food, this could increase the price for lunch because mccluer north could possibly have to hire more lunch ladies. on the other hand the time we have for lunch and the amount of lunch periods could increase. with all these people at lunch it would be harder for administration to find out if students are skipping. kids that did not get caught for skipping would keep doing it, causing their grades to fall and looking bad on the school. more kids would need to ride the bus, which would lead to the school having to pay for more bus drivers, school buses, and more gas for the buses. because of this they would increase the distance for an individual to be eligible to ride a bus to and from school. this would cause people who normally get a ride to and from school to have to find a new ride or walk. Now as juniors, i know what alot of you are thinking, " i drive myself to and from school so this doesnt concern me.". school parking passes would also increase tho since there is more people wanting to drive and still the same amount of parking spots. Stricter restrictions to be eligible for parking passes would also occur. hallways would be even more crowded. it would be harder to get from each class to the other. this would increase the amount of tardys for everyone. because everyone is getting tardys this could increase the amount of tardys we are allowed to get before penaltys begin to happen and or leading to us having more passing time and less learning time. with more people iss and detentions would get filled up faster so ether it will lead to it being less strict, to where it would be harder to get iss and detention or they could just give you oss more often. more fights could also erupt with all the hostel testosterone filled teenagers. students will not learn as much because they wouldnt get as much attention as they would have in a smaller class.

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Population Boom Empty McCluer North is already overpopulated...

Post  Ben Johnson Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:49 pm

If McCluer North became overpopulated there would be many different problems. One problem would be that there wouldnt be enough desks and students would have to stand. Another problem would be there would be way too many students per teacher would would cause chaos and no one would be able to learn efficiently.One last problem would be lunch, the lines would bee too long and some students probably wouldnt even be able to get lunch. Day to day changes that would have to be made are more teachers per room, more desks, short classes so more students could take that class, more lunch periods and especially more teachers.

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Population Boom Empty There are so many people already...

Post  ssaraheadess Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:02 pm

If McCluer North ever became overpopulated, it would suck. In my opinion, the school is already too small for us. People shouldn't have to be pushing and being crowded just to get to class. It's school, not a rock concert.
Problems that overpopulation might cause are more fights, because people would be uncomfortable in the environment, and fighting is how most people at our school would get out their frustration; and stressed teachers, because handling too many students at one time would become too much for them.
Some changes that would have to be made are the staff, the bell schedule, and getting used to there being less resources.
There would probably have to be more school officials in the school just to make sure that all the students are doing what they're supposed to.
A way to control how many students there are in the hallways at once would be to change the bell schedule, like how the lunches are. Certain classes get let out at one time.
But overall, we would have to get used to there being less resources for us to use. Being honest, I think the school would try, but they wouldn't get enough money to afford that many kids. Parents' incomes around the area aren't going to change, they wouldn't be able to give any more money then they already do. We'd just have to suck up to a lower level of standards.

ssaraheadess

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Population Boom Empty Population Dense!

Post  Arock iHurdle Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:25 am

Question #2:

If McCluer North becam overpopulated, that would be disasterous. Hallways would be impossible to maneuver through, classes would be crowded, lunch would be a waste of time (waiting in line forever), and conflict amongst the studemt body would be an everyday thing. The resources at North would also be effected because not enough would be available to go around. The prestigious name of the school would probably diminsh because so much would be going on, it would be hard for students to focus. Overpopulation at McCluer North would also be very bad because if there was a break out of something (for example: Staph infection), it would spread like wildfire and put everyone that attends the school at risk. Overpopulation, in other words, is not where it's at!! Evil or Very Mad

Arock iHurdle

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Population Boom Empty I can barely move through the halls already...

Post  kurt.ragan Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:02 pm

If McCluer North became even more populated it would be very bad. Over population would mean halls would be more packed, longer lunch lines, and more disruptive class rooms. changes that would have to be made are, longer lunch periods, longer passing periods, and maybe even more hours for all the students to be able to have their classes without the classes being too crowded.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Population Boom Empty yes

Post  kurt.ragan Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Ben Johnson wrote:
If McCluer North became overpopulated there would be many different problems. One problem would be that there wouldnt be enough desks and students would have to stand. Another problem would be there would be way too many students per teacher would would cause chaos and no one would be able to learn efficiently.One last problem would be lunch, the lines would bee too long and some students probably wouldnt even be able to get lunch. Day to day changes that would have to be made are more teachers per room, more desks, short classes so more students could take that class, more lunch periods and especially more teachers.
i agree with what u said on the chaos in the class room, with more students to fit in classes there would be too many kids per teacher, maybe they would have to add more hours to the day for all the kids to get their classes in.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Population Boom Empty hmmmmm

Post  kurt.ragan Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:09 pm

ssaraheadess wrote:If McCluer North ever became overpopulated, it would suck. In my opinion, the school is already too small for us. People shouldn't have to be pushing and being crowded just to get to class. It's school, not a rock concert.
Problems that overpopulation might cause are more fights, because people would be uncomfortable in the environment, and fighting is how most people at our school would get out their frustration; and stressed teachers, because handling too many students at one time would become too much for them.
Some changes that would have to be made are the staff, the bell schedule, and getting used to there being less resources.
There would probably have to be more school officials in the school just to make sure that all the students are doing what they're supposed to.
A way to control how many students there are in the hallways at once would be to change the bell schedule, like how the lunches are. Certain classes get let out at one time.
But overall, we would have to get used to there being less resources for us to use. Being honest, I think the school would try, but they wouldn't get enough money to afford that many kids. Parents' incomes around the area aren't going to change, they wouldn't be able to give any more money then they already do. We'd just have to suck up to a lower level of standards.
when i was thinking about problems over population would cause i did not think about more fights, with more people it would be more likely for people to have disputes.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Population Boom Empty Re: 5th Hour - Population Boom

Post  DanManzella Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:04 pm

kurt.ragan wrote:If McCluer North became even more populated it would be very bad. Over population would mean halls would be more packed, longer lunch lines, and more disruptive class rooms. changes that would have to be made are, longer lunch periods, longer passing periods, and maybe even more hours for all the students to be able to have their classes without the classes being too crowded.

I agree with you that it would be bad. I agree that the lunch periods would be longer because the lunch lines are already to long.

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

Post  DanManzella Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:08 pm

Ben Johnson wrote:

I agree that no one would be able to learn efficiently because there would be more students and the teacher wouldn't have enough time to help every student in a class period and teach too.

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:13 am

If McCluer North became overpopulated it would seriously give me an even BIGGER reason to strongly dislike the people in it. The problems that would arise is more fights, more drama, and more competition in practically EVERYTHING including going to the bathroom. Day to day changes that would have to be made (besides building a bigger school) to accommodate a larger student population would be changing a lot of the schedules, more food production, more supervision and security. A bigger population is just a nightmare that nobody wants to actually experience I know I don't.

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:15 am

kurt.ragan wrote:If McCluer North became even more populated it would be very bad. Over population would mean halls would be more packed, longer lunch lines, and more disruptive class rooms. changes that would have to be made are, longer lunch periods, longer passing periods, and maybe even more hours for all the students to be able to have their classes without the classes being too crowded.

Sounds like complete hell that the teachers even want to deal with.

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:16 am

Arock iHurdle wrote:Question #2:

If McCluer North becam overpopulated, that would be disasterous. Hallways would be impossible to maneuver through, classes would be crowded, lunch would be a waste of time (waiting in line forever), and conflict amongst the studemt body would be an everyday thing. The resources at North would also be effected because not enough would be available to go around. The prestigious name of the school would probably diminsh because so much would be going on, it would be hard for students to focus. Overpopulation at McCluer North would also be very bad because if there was a break out of something (for example: Staph infection), it would spread like wildfire and put everyone that attends the school at risk. Overpopulation, in other words, is not where it's at!! Evil or Very Mad

I agree and then I would politely transfer to a school somewhere in Chesterfield Shocked

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Population Boom Empty it already is?

Post  chrisprincivalli Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:30 pm

2well i believe there would be tons of problems.there would be way to many students in class rooms which would cause test scores to be lower.One way you could fix this problem is have people come at 7-2:20 and have a night school session from 3-10:20. If that didnt happen then the school would just have to deal with it and make due with what it has. A problem would be people would be getting sick all the time being so close together. to fix this i would assume more medications. Also being on top of everyone would cause way more fights making the school more unsafe than Question it already is.

chrisprincivalli

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisprincivalli Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:33 pm

ssaraheadess wrote:If McCluer North ever became overpopulated, it would suck. In my opinion, the school is already too small for us. People shouldn't have to be pushing and being crowded just to get to class. It's school, not a rock concert.
Its sad but true north is already becoming over popullated My math class has like 30 kids in there already and it sucks. we need to handle this problem, cuz this is why our test scores suck, and the fact that no one cares. Most kids at north are high have the time anyway

chrisprincivalli

Back to top Go down

Post  KristinaRider Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:29 pm

If our school became over populated, there would be many problems. Bullying would increase. The destruction of books and learning materials would increase. Lastly, the school would become filled with trash, and become a melting pot of nasty diseases like staph infection.
If McCluer North became over populated, there would be atleast three options on what to do. The first one would be to half have of the school's population attend from 7:00AM-12:00PM and the other hakf from 12:00PM-5:00PM. Second, they could have everyother days for the two halfs. Lastly, they could have freshmens go for a day, sophmores go the day after them, then juniors the next day, and so on. Then the cycle would repeat. Thoes are my three solutions to correct McCluer North's overpopulation problem. Very Happy

KristinaRider

Back to top Go down

Post  KristinaRider Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:35 pm

DanManzella wrote:2. What would happen if McCluer North became overpopulated? What kind of problems would it cause? What kind of day to day changes would have to be made (besides building a bigger school) to accommodate a larger student population? Name at least three specific problems of accommodations in your discussion.

if mccluer north was overpopulated it would be very unpleasant. lunch would be even more over crowded, so there would be more demand for the food, this could increase the price for lunch because mccluer north could possibly have to hire more lunch ladies. on the other hand the time we have for lunch and the amount of lunch periods could increase. with all these people at lunch it would be harder for administration to find out if students are skipping. kids that did not get caught for skipping would keep doing it, causing their grades to fall and looking bad on the school. more kids would need to ride the bus, which would lead to the school having to pay for more bus drivers, school buses, and more gas for the buses. because of this they would increase the distance for an individual to be eligible to ride a bus to and from school. this would cause people who normally get a ride to and from school to have to find a new ride or walk. Now as juniors, i know what alot of you are thinking, " i drive myself to and from school so this doesnt concern me.". school parking passes would also increase tho since there is more people wanting to drive and still the same amount of parking spots. Stricter restrictions to be eligible for parking passes would also occur. hallways would be even more crowded. it would be harder to get from each class to the other. this would increase the amount of tardys for everyone. because everyone is getting tardys this could increase the amount of tardys we are allowed to get before penaltys begin to happen and or leading to us having more passing time and less learning time. with more people iss and detentions would get filled up faster so ether it will lead to it being less strict, to where it would be harder to get iss and detention or they could just give you oss more often. more fights could also erupt with all the hostel testosterone filled teenagers. students will not learn as much because they wouldnt get as much attention as they would have in a smaller class.
I agree with what you said about students who skip. The teachers would also have to try to get them back on track when they do decide to come back to class.

KristinaRider

Back to top Go down

Post  KristinaRider Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:37 pm

We are already in school long enough. I do not want more hours added to that.

KristinaRider

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:28 pm

If Mccluer North was overpopulated,there would be soo many problems. We already are a broke school (no offense Ms. Hancock ha) but we wouldn't have enough supplies; desks, books, and space. Another problem is that some students already aren't that focused on learning so being overpopulated will not higher our test scores i highly doubt. I think there would be alot of fights as well because of the gangs and the battles of whos better and what not would get way out of hand. A day to day change would be the times of each class and lunch, too many students so we would either have to make school longer or have shortened classes but longer lunches. And honestly i don't think most students would even go to school, because since we are so overpopulated most students wont get in trouble, its too hard to keep track.

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:30 pm

[quote="DanManzella"]2. What would happen if McCluer North became overpopulated? What kind of problems would it cause? What kind of day to day changes would have to be made (besides building a bigger school) to accommodate a larger student population? Name at least three specific problems of accommodations in your discussion.

if mccluer north was overpopulated it would be very unpleasant. lunch would be even more over crowded, so there would be more demand for the food, this could increase the price for lunch because mccluer north could possibly have to hire more lunch ladies. on the other hand the time we have for lunch and the amount of lunch periods could increase. with all these people at lunch it would be harder for administration to find out if students are skipping. kids that did not get caught for skipping would keep doing it, causing their grades to fall and looking bad on the school. more kids would need to ride the bus, which would lead to the school having to pay for more bus drivers, school buses, and more gas for the buses. because of this they would increase the distance for an individual to be eligible to ride a bus to and from school. this would cause people who normally get a ride to and from school to have to find a new ride or walk. Now as juniors, i know what alot of you are thinking, " i drive myself to and from school so this doesnt concern me.". school parking passes would also increase tho since there is more people wanting to drive and still the same amount of parking spots. Stricter restrictions to be eligible for parking passes would also occur. hallways would be even more crowded. it would be harder to get from each class to the other. this would increase the amount of tardys for everyone. because everyone is getting tardys this could increase the amount of tardys we are allowed to get before penaltys begin to happen and or leading to us having more passing time and less learning time. with more people iss and detentions would get filled up faster so ether it will lead to it being less strict, to where it would be harder to get iss and detention or they could just give you oss more often. more fights could also erupt with all the hostel testosterone filled teenagers. students will not learn as much because they wouldnt get as much attention as they would have in a smaller class.[/quote

i already dislike this school, adding more students would push me too not come. I barely want to go to school, adding more hours would just set alot of kids up for failures.

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:31 pm

KristinaRider wrote: If our school became over populated, there would be many problems. Bullying would increase. The destruction of books and learning materials would increase. Lastly, the school would become filled with trash, and become a melting pot of nasty diseases like staph infection.
If McCluer North became over populated, there would be atleast three options on what to do. The first one would be to half have of the school's population attend from 7:00AM-12:00PM and the other hakf from 12:00PM-5:00PM. Second, they could have everyother days for the two halfs. Lastly, they could have freshmens go for a day, sophmores go the day after them, then juniors the next day, and so on. Then the cycle would repeat. Thoes are my three solutions to correct McCluer North's overpopulation problem. Very Happy

I love how you said " melting pot of nasty diseases like staph infection" hahahaha so true.

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Population Boom Empty Dude What Would Happen?

Post  BrittanyE Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:07 pm

If McCluer North became overpopulated, i don't know what I would do. The school would be filled with fights almost every class period there would be about 6-7 fights and there are hardly enough teachers to accommidate the emense population of students. As a result many of the students would have to be redirected to a different school in a different location. also there would have to be different sessions of school, a morning session and an evening session and lastly McCluer North could shut down forever.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:08 pm

JennyHuynh123 wrote:
KristinaRider wrote: If our school became over populated, there would be many problems. Bullying would increase. The destruction of books and learning materials would increase. Lastly, the school would become filled with trash, and become a melting pot of nasty diseases like staph infection.

I love how you said " melting pot of nasty diseases like staph infection" hahahaha so true.
If McCluer North became overpopulated, i don't know what I would do. The school would be filled with fights almost every class period there would be about 6-7 fights and there are hardly enough teachers to accommidate the emense population of students. As a result many of the students would have to be redirected to a different school in a different location. also there would have to be different sessions of school, a morning session and an evening session and lastly McCluer North could shut down forever.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:08 pm

[quote="JennyHuynh123"]
DanManzella wrote:2. What would happen if McCluer North became overpopulated? What kind of problems would it cause? What kind of day to day changes would have to be made (besides building a bigger school) to accommodate a larger student population? Name at least three specific problems of accommodations in your discussion.

if mccluer north was overpopulated it would be very unpleasant. lunch would be even more over crowded, so there would be more demand for the food, this could increase the price for lunch because mccluer north could possibly have to hire more lunch ladies. on the other hand the time we have for lunch and the amount of lunch periods could increase. with all these people at lunch it would be harder for administration to find out if students are skipping. kids that did not get caught for skipping would keep doing it, causing their grades to fall and looking bad on the school. more kids would need to ride the bus, which would lead to the school having to pay for more bus drivers, school buses, and more gas for the buses. because of this they would increase the distance for an individual to be eligible to ride a bus to and from school. this would cause people who normally get a ride to and from school to have to find a new ride or walk. Now as juniors, i know what alot of you are thinking, " i drive myself to and from school so this doesnt concern me.". school parking passes would also increase tho since there is more people wanting to drive and still the same amount of parking spots. Stricter restrictions to be eligible for parking passes would also occur. hallways would be even more crowded. it would be harder to get from each class to the other. this would increase the amount of tardys for everyone. because everyone is getting tardys this could increase the amount of tardys we are allowed to get before penaltys begin to happen and or leading to us having more passing time and less learning time. with more people iss and detentions would get filled up faster so ether it will lead to it being less strict, to where it would be harder to get iss and detention or they could just give you oss more often. more fights could also erupt with all the hostel testosterone filled teenagers. students will not learn as much because they wouldnt get as much attention as they would have in a smaller class.[/quote

i already dislike this school, adding more students would push me too not come. I barely want to go to school, adding more hours would just set alot of kids up for failures.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Population Boom Empty Too Many People...

Post  david71795 Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:41 pm

If McCluer North became over populated we would need a bigger school. That is all there is to it. Our hallways are already so jam packed where people can barely walk, can u imagine if we added hundreds more people. There would be absolutely no room for walking. Lunch would be horrible. Lines are already hug, with not much room to sit. Our education would become bad because of the student to teacher ratio. we are already at like 20 students per teacher. So all i am saying is that if you think North is crowded now, just wait and see what would happen if we became over populated.

david71795

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next