H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour - China's Population

+8
ROBBYECANADA
brianadreid16
danirivera
Kara Gordon
CiaraSmith
JessLockette
camenistic strickland
Admin
12 posters

Go down

3rd Hour - China's Population Empty 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  Admin Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:43 pm

After watching China's Lost Girls, reflect on the video and select one of the following questions to answer. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

2. What do you think about China's population solution? What social issues have arisen/will arise in future years as a result of China's population solution? What can China's government do to help solve these social problems?

Initial Posting: Due Thursday, October 20 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Sunday, October 23 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

https://ahancock.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - China's Population Empty PLAN B?

Post  camenistic strickland Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:50 pm

So far I do not like China's current plan of exterminating or reducing the number of women in china's native born populace. Social issues that have or will arise because of the current plan are population dispraportion, sexual confusion, a highly masculine society, a biased society, maybe even a decrease in the pure-blood chinese population and an increase in the mixed or multi-ethnical background. However a person may put it, I don't think this policy is correct. To fix their population density and overpopulation problem,(this is pure fantasy. don't judge me) I think China should collaborate with other countries around them like India, Mongolia, and SE Asia to build more infastructure near the borders away from the dense plains. Next I think the country should attempt to expand west into the Gobi Desert and Mongolia. After all this expansion, maybe people living in the nation's east plains will be encouraged to move into the less populated areas of western china. Yes it is naive, but what other options do they have. tongue

camenistic strickland

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - China's Population Empty Re: 3rd Hour - China's Population

Post  JessLockette Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:10 pm

I think China's population solution is a good idea, but as we all saw, it didn't really work out in the video beause, there was wayyy more boys than girls. Personally, I think that it is very unfair that your government can mandate how many children a couple can have. Then, the part that kills me is that you get punished and you have to pay, for having more kids and wanting a bigger family. The government is taking away the peoples' rights and freedoms and that is not okay. No

JessLockette

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - China's Population Empty Controlling much?

Post  CiaraSmith Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:06 pm

After watching the film Lost Girls I think it a prime example of the government tryin to control every element in a person life.I get why the government thought that was a good solution but it may cause alot of problems for the comin of age males in the Chinese population because there will less females to reproduce with but will also work in the governments favor because there will be a population decrease. I don't think its fair that jus because a child is a girl she is less valuable than a boy and that you have to pay for a child that's yours.

CiaraSmith

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - China's Population Empty China girls

Post  Kara Gordon Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:00 pm

I think china's solution is bad because girls are being abandoned. In the future their woll be a lack.of girls and the men won't be able to marry. China should make it to where families keeping girls should not.be penalized...maaybe allow two kkids per family.

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  danirivera Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:26 pm

1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

With China's massive, growing population I think that the idea of the government dictating how many children a family can have was a good idea, but I think it has its flaws. Since most families believe that boys are a better sex, baby girls are neglected. Most familes can't and won't pay the fines in having a second child. they will get rid off any girl they have. It is unfair and unjust to the little girls. As a result the dominate sex in China is boys. This will lead to the males not being able to find spouses. Personally, I blame the government and China's people for being so closed minded towards females. Basically , my opnion= NOT ethical

danirivera

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - China's Population Empty #2

Post  brianadreid16 Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:40 pm

I Think That The Population Problem In China Could Cause A Couple Of Major Effects. One Of Them Will Be The Decreased Value Of Women In Future Chinese Society Which Will Cause An Increase In The Idea Of A Patricarical Society. China's Population Should Be Controlled In Some Way, Just Not To The Exreme That It Is Currently Being Controlled At. A Woman Shouldnt Have To Give Up Her Daughter Bcuz Society Says She Should....Thats Not Right, Matter Of Fact Its Disusting!

brianadreid16

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - China's Population Empty Solution

Post  ROBBYECANADA Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:20 pm

2. What do you think about China's population solution? What social issues have arisen/will arise in future years as a result of China's population solution? What can China's government do to help solve these social problems?

I think that China's population solution is effective because it does work to decrease the population in China. However, the solution has some negative effects; there is an abundance of boys and not enough girls causing there to eventually be a lost generation( not a lot of births). There will also be a lot of baby girls being sent to orphanages or abandoned. China can reward people for keeping their daughters so that more people will.

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - China's Population Empty Is This Solution Ethical ?

Post  gater.kiana Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Honestly, I think that the Chinese government is doing all it can to help control its population problem. By limiting the amount of children each family can have, it is saving space and hopefully costing government less to feed and clothe all of its people with its limited resources. On the contrary I don't think that it is ethical to charge a fee for every additional child born, but something does need to happen to resolve the population issue.

gater.kiana

Back to top Go down

Post  gater.kiana Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:38 pm

Kara Gordon wrote:I think china's solution is bad because girls are being abandoned. In the future their woll be a lack.of girls and the men won't be able to marry. China should make it to where families keeping girls should not.be penalized...maaybe allow two kkids per family.

I agree with you with the cruelty being done togirls, but China really cant afford 2 children per family. Its already over its capacity limit we can see by the crowding of the streets.

gater.kiana

Back to top Go down

Post  gater.kiana Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:41 pm

ROBBYECANADA wrote:2. What do you think about China's population solution? What social issues have arisen/will arise in future years as a result of China's population solution? What can China's government do to help solve these social problems?

I think that China's population solution is effective because it does work to decrease the population in China. However, the solution has some negative effects; there is an abundance of boys and not enough girls causing there to eventually be a lost generation( not a lot of births). There will also be a lot of baby girls being sent to orphanages or abandoned. China can reward people for keeping their daughters so that more people will.

I agree with you Robbye. But if the Chinese starts to award people to keep their girls, then to many girls might end up the resulting case. We need t find a balance.

gater.kiana

Back to top Go down

Post  Trey Neal Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:54 pm

Kara wrote"I think china's solution is bad because girls are being abandoned. In the future their woll be a lack.of girls and the men won't be able to marry. China should make it to where families keeping girls should not.be penalized...maaybe allow two kkids per family."
I agree with you on the fact that china should allow two kids per family. Extending on that they should over emphasize girls for the next generation.

Trey Neal

Back to top Go down

Post  BriaMcGhee1 Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:12 pm

I think that China will have many problems in the future because most women will have been gone and it will mostly males living there which means that they aren't even able to reproduce or everyone will be having babys by the same women, and that just isnt cool or right at all. I think that when you think of the decision for only one family to have one child short distance it sounds like a great idea, but then once you look at it long term it doesnt fit well. I dont know what china could do to fix that problem but i do know that they should most definetly find something fast.

BriaMcGhee1

Back to top Go down

Post  BriaMcGhee1 Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:15 pm

gater.kiana wrote:Honestly, I think that the Chinese government is doing all it can to help control its population problem. By limiting the amount of children each family can have, it is saving space and hopefully costing government less to feed and clothe all of its people with its limited resources. On the contrary I don't think that it is ethical to charge a fee for every additional child born, but something does need to happen to resolve the population issue.
I disagree . if they were doing everything that they could do than they would atleast try to even out the gender situation because they are well aware of what is going on. They are basically elimanating the people who run the world.... GIRLS ! i mean some sort of balance could take place

BriaMcGhee1

Back to top Go down

Post  BriaMcGhee1 Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:55 pm

JessLockette wrote:I think China's population solution is a good idea, but as we all saw, it didn't really work out in the video beause, there was wayyy more boys than girls. Personally, I think that it is very unfair that your government can mandate how many children a couple can have. Then, the part that kills me is that you get punished and you have to pay, for having more kids and wanting a bigger family. The government is taking away the peoples' rights and freedoms and that is not okay. No
I do agree with you ! and you are right , but Im sure when they made this law people agreed with them , if a majority of there society would have disagreed . i dont think they would have done it . it just has back fired.

BriaMcGhee1

Back to top Go down

Post  ROBBYECANADA Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:04 am

[quote="gater.kiana"]quote]
I agree the Chinese government is doing there best to control the population in that area. Without the regulation worse things can take place such as over-population dense places and food shortages. I also think that other governments should adapt measures similiar to these to reduce their populations as well...But without the fee people will just have their extra kid anyway; there has to be some sort of a penalty for breaking the law (and I find paying a fee very mild compared to what they could do).

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

Post  ROBBYECANADA Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:09 am

camenistic strickland wrote:
I kind of have to disagree with you. Although the Chinese child regulation goes against alot of moral ethics, its still very practical and effective. Have you ever considered that people living in China might not what to migrate to other areas? To allow for that regulation you'll also run into the same problems, perhaps even worse. In short, the Chinese's way of dealing with their population does have negative effects, but so would other policies, as well.

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

Post  BriaMcGhee1 Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:18 am

CiaraSmith wrote:After watching the film Lost Girls I think it a prime example of the government tryin to control every element in a person life.I get why the government thought that was a good solution but it may cause alot of problems for the comin of age males in the Chinese population because there will less females to reproduce with but will also work in the governments favor because there will be a population decrease. I don't think its fair that jus because a child is a girl she is less valuable than a boy and that you have to pay for a child that's yours.
I agree with you ciara because in the end they are going to need the young girls for something and there wont be anymore left.

BriaMcGhee1

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - China's Population Empty Shame

Post  Devin McCullough Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:41 pm

I thought the vidoe was very sad, even thought the little girls looked happy I still thought it was sad. I thought it was messed up that just because their parents had a girl, their parents gave them up beacuse they would rather hae a boy. I think China population solution is all bad. No, i don't think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines. I think that thier situation is bad, but they need to sit down and reevaluate the solution because punishing the parents for having another child is not okay.

Devin McCullough

Back to top Go down

Post  Devin McCullough Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Kara Gordon wrote:I think china's solution is bad because girls are being abandoned. In the future their woll be a lack.of girls and the men won't be able to marry. China should make it to where families keeping girls should not.be penalized...maaybe allow two kkids per family.

I agree kara thats sounds like a good solution to me. You should not be punished for having more than one child.

Devin McCullough

Back to top Go down

Post  Devin McCullough Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:48 pm

ROBBYECANADA wrote:2. What do you think about China's population solution? What social issues have arisen/will arise in future years as a result of China's population solution? What can China's government do to help solve these social problems?

I think that is a good idea Robbye. China should reward people for keeping their daughters that would be better than the girls being abandoned.

Devin McCullough

Back to top Go down

Post  JessLockette Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:41 pm

[quote="Devin McCullough"] I agree with you, they really do need to reevaluate this whole population solution

JessLockette

Back to top Go down

Post  JessLockette Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:45 pm

[quote="CiaraSmith"] I agree because, they really are controlling everyone's life, if you really think about it. i know it's their government, but how can you tell people how many kids they an have? What if they dreamed of having a big family? They can only have one kid beause, they just give the girls away like it's nothing.

JessLockette

Back to top Go down

Post  Kara Gordon Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:12 pm

JessLockette wrote:I think China's population solution is a good idea, but as we all saw, it didn't really work out in the video beause, there was wayyy more boys than girls. Personally, I think that it is very unfair that your government can mandate how many children a couple can have. Then, the part that kills me is that you get punished and you have to pay, for having more kids and wanting a bigger family. The government is taking away the peoples' rights and freedoms and that is not okay. No
I totally agree with you on the fact that the idea in general should've worked out...but with the preferences to baby boys..well it just didn't. I don't think that it is fair to dictate how many children a person is allowed to have as long as they are able to support their family on their own.

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  Kara Gordon Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Devin McCullough wrote:1. I thought the vidoe was very sad, even thought the little girls looked happy I still thought it was sad. I thought it was messed up that just because their parents had a girl, their parents gave them up beacuse they would rather hae a boy. I think China population solution is all bad. No, i don't think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines. I think that thier situation is bad, but they need to sit down and reevaluate the solution because punishing the parents for having another child is not okay.
I totally agree with you Devon. I believe if at all possible that a child should remain with its family if possible. They also as you said should reevaluate how to fix the population problem, there just has to be a better way to fix it.

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down