H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - China's Population

+14
chrisprincivalli
BriannaMoore
megan Gates
ssaraheadess
Cheli Foster
arielaskew
JennyHuynh123
DanManzella
kurt.ragan
maryamnewman
BrittanyE
Arock iHurdle
Ben Johnson
Admin
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty 5th Hour - China's Population

Post  Admin Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:43 pm

After watching China's Lost Girls, reflect on the video and select one of the following questions to answer. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?

2. What do you think about China's population solution? What social issues have arisen/will arise in future years as a result of China's population solution? What can China's government do to help solve these social problems?

Initial Posting: Due Thursday, October 20 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Sunday, October 23 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

https://ahancock.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty The Government has gone too far..

Post  Ben Johnson Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:24 pm

I believe china's population solution if effective but wrong, how can a government limit that amount of children someone wants to have? I think its unethical, and just wrong. Even more so, punishing people for not following the guidelines is worse, in that sense theyve gone too far, people would still only have one child but others may or may not have more than one. Limiting life like that is wrong, what if one of those unborn children would have solved the cure for cancer or aids? The government went too far with their "population solution".

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty 1 billion strong!

Post  Arock iHurdle Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:24 pm

Answer question #2: I think China's population solution is logical but totally unethical. The solution forces Chinese citizens to limit there children and I don't think thats fair. It also causes the people of China to face a future social problem of not having enough women in China to mate with the rapidly increasing male population. This could be a major setback in the Chinese future because if you don't have women you don't have babies. Although the solution to China's population crisis is unethical, it is the most logical thing i could have thought of. But, if i were going to continue to carry out that plan, I would balance out the women and men alike. Too much of either gender is improper. king

Arock iHurdle

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty Re: 5th Hour - China's Population

Post  Arock iHurdle Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:27 pm

Ben Johnson wrote:I believe china's population solution if effective but wrong, how can a government limit that amount of children someone wants to have? I think its unethical, and just wrong. Even more so, punishing people for not following the guidelines is worse, in that sense theyve gone too far, people would still only have one child but others may or may not have more than one. Limiting life like that is wrong, what if one of those unborn children would have solved the cure for cancer or aids? The government went too far with their "population solution".
Ben i agree to your agrue but i do have to say this...if they don't limit the amount of babies that Chinese citizens can have, how else will they solve the problem? you don't want them to just go around killing huge masses of people do you. Yes, the solution is unethical, but it is logical! Cool

Arock iHurdle

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:43 pm

1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?
I think that China's population solution is stupid. It is stupid because tons if parents have to leave their children or kill them in order to live a normal life. Tons of families are torn apart because of this rule. I think it is ethical because of the growing population but i think the thing they should mandate most is the increasing boy population that has suddenly aroused. I dont think the parents should be punished if they have more than as long as it is maintained under a certain amount.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Arock iHurdle wrote:
Ben Johnson wrote:I believe china's population solution if effective but wrong, how can a government limit that amount of children someone wants to have? I think its unethical, and just wrong. Even more so, punishing people for not following the guidelines is worse, in that sense theyve gone too far, people would still only have one child but others may or may not have more than one. Limiting life like that is wrong, what if one of those unborn children would have solved the cure for cancer or aids? The government went too far with their "population solution".
Ben i agree to your agrue but i do have to say this...if they don't limit the amount of babies that Chinese citizens can have, how else will they solve the problem? you don't want them to just go around killing huge masses of people do you. Yes, the solution is unethical, but it is logical! Cool
I think that China's population solution is stupid. It is stupid because tons if parents have to leave their children or kill them in order to live a normal life. Tons of families are torn apart because of this rule. I think it is unethical because of the growing population but i also think it is logical.the thing they should mandate most is the increasing boy population that has suddenly aroused. I dont thin k the parents should be punished if they have more than as long as it is maintained under a certain amount.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:45 pm

I think that China's population solution is stupid. It is stupid because tons if parents have to leave their children or kill them in order to live a normal life. Tons of families are torn apart because of this rule. I think it is unethical because of the growing population but i also think it is logical.the thing they should mandate most is the increasing boy population that has suddenly aroused. I dont thin k the parents should be punished if they have more than as long as it is maintained under a certain amount.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  maryamnewman Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:20 pm

2. What do you think about China's population solution? What social issues have arisen/will arise in future years as a result of China's population solution? What can China's government do to help solve these social problems?

I think that China's population solution would be very effective if the millions of lives of baby girls were not put at risk. These are actual human beings, and to hear of these young children being treated in such inhumane ways breaks my heart because I personally love babies. It is totally understandable that the government must take these procedures for the sake of China, but there lies a larger problem at hand that isnt properly being dealt with. Adoption, unfortunately, saves only a small fraction of these little girl's lives. Therefore something bigger and much more effective should be done, because this issue will ultimatey be the downfall of China. Little girls should be allowed government support. The increasing population of males will only result in higher crime rates and less reproduction.

maryamnewman

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty WOWWWW!!

Post  kurt.ragan Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:44 pm

I think that China's population solution is a very bad one. i think its bad because families have begun throwing girls away because they want a son. they should be able to have whatever kids they want but with no financial aid either way. if u want a kid you better be able to pay for it.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

Post  kurt.ragan Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:46 pm

i like what you said, i feel that the government limiting the kids is wrong because it is unfair and is almost like taking someones life.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty communism = fail

Post  DanManzella Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:32 pm

I think china's population solution is wrong and should be stopped. Its unethical for someone to control how many children a person can have and immoral to punish them for not following ridiculous guidelines. it isn't right for the fact that if someone where to accidentally get pregnant with a second child, even tho they were trying to follow the guidelines, they would be forced to abort one of gods creations or put it up for adoption and have to live with that thought every day. There is plenty more wrong with guidelines in the first place. Setting limitations only increases desire and increases population in the first place. No body else in the world has these problems so obviously the problem isn't the people just rapidly breeding, the real problem is the weak excuse for a government, otherwise known as communism.

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

Post  DanManzella Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:38 pm

BrittanyE wrote:1. What do you think about China's population solution? Do you think it is ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines? Why or why not?
I think that China's population solution is stupid. It is stupid because tons if parents have to leave their children or kill them in order to live a normal life. Tons of families are torn apart because of this rule. I think it is ethical because of the growing population but i think the thing they should mandate most is the increasing boy population that has suddenly aroused. I dont think the parents should be punished if they have more than as long as it is maintained under a certain amount.

i agree that the solution is wrong on the governments part. what caught my eye in your response is that it should be maintained under a certain amount, instead of limiting it to one child, why not say no more then 2 or 3

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

Post  DanManzella Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:44 pm

as repetitive as your response is, i agree that the key point in fact is, that it is just plain wrong. But the fact the one of the unborn children could in fact be part of the cure for cancer or aids is a very strong statement.

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:15 pm

I think China's population solution is ridiculous. You can not tell someone to only have 1 kid and expect them to give up their other kids. WOW it's a shame that they've taken this solution to far. Little kids are abandoned, put in orphanages, and sometimes even killed because of the govt basically. Everybody should have the right to have how many kids they would like, it shouldn't matter, but to punish them for giving someone a new life, is too overboard.

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Arock iHurdle wrote:Answer question #2: I think China's population solution is logical but totally unethical. The solution forces Chinese citizens to limit there children and I don't think thats fair. It also causes the people of China to face a future social problem of not having enough women in China to mate with the rapidly increasing male population. This could be a major setback in the Chinese future because if you don't have women you don't have babies. Although the solution to China's population crisis is unethical, it is the most logical thing i could have thought of. But, if i were going to continue to carry out that plan, I would balance out the women and men alike. Too much of either gender is improper. king

I agree with you, China is going to end up with alll BOYS, you know what that means.......gang violence. Laughing

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:19 pm

I don't think it's effective since the one village in China was used as the control of this "experiment", their population rate is below average. That should tell the govt something.

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty China's population

Post  arielaskew Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:30 pm

I think that China's population solution is efficient..for the time being. Years to come there will most likely be a major set back due to the fact that there will be even more males than females than there is now. This leaves more girls as being killed, abandon or sold and more women sexually harmed because the men need the women, which there is major lack of, to have a child.To help solve these social problems China's government can possibly make the rule as being possibly 2 children per family to make it more likely for females to have girls so that females will be able to start growing in population to reproduce.

arielaskew

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty Woahthere horsie!

Post  Cheli Foster Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:32 pm

I think China's population solution is really cruel. It puts their citizens in a position to make deisicons that I believe haunt them for quite awhile as shown in the video China's Girls. I do think it is unethical for the government to mandate how many children a couple can have and then punish them for it. Obviously China's citizens arent happy! if they are they soon wont be when it turns into violent fights over the few females they have now. . unhappy citizens=un happy governmentif you ask me.. I think ultimatley the government trying to mandate their citizens children is unethical because it is putting the wrong imagery into their citizens mind and setting up unhealthy habits that will greatly affect them in the future.

Cheli Foster

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty All I want is a boy.. Psych.

Post  ssaraheadess Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:32 pm

I can understand why China would make the One Baby rule, but honestly, living in western culture, I believe it's unfair. A woman should have the right to as many or as little children has she would like to have. And as that one woman said in the video, people want what they can't have, so as a result of the one baby rule, its seems like they're just having more kids now. It doesn't matter if a child is born in China, US, Great Britain, Egypt, Australia, there is still one more human brought into the world. If we're edging on capacity, what difference does it make where the child is born?

I don't think it's ethical, from the government and the fathers. The government is disallowing the woman to bear children, and the fathers are pushing the mothers to have boys, even though they can't control that anyway. I just find it really heartbreaking to know that woman will have girls, and since the fathers want a boy, they either send the baby away or leave her to die. No girl can help being a girl. No girl should have to suffer because their parents wanted a son.

ssaraheadess

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty Boys, Boys, Every Where

Post  megan Gates Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:18 am

I understand why the government came up with the solution that each couple can only have one child; however I don't think that they took into consideration that this will have a negative effect on the male population(because everyone wants a boy instead of a girl). The video says that for ever 100 girls there are 130 boys this means that in the future alot of men wont be able to find a significant other. This will make them unable to start a family, and will lead them to take alternatives such as joining gangs, rapping, robbing, and doing other distructive activities. So with this being said I feel like when China's government afficals came up with this law were each couple is alowed one child they bypassed the facted that they will have a problem with gender ratio wich will lead to social disorder in thier country.

I agree with the law that every couple is allowed one child, because I feel that that is a good method to try to minimize population growth. I just feel like the government did a poor job on weighing out the pros and cons of this matter, if they would have considered the cons of this law then they probably would have came up with an even better plan that wont lead to social disorder.

megan Gates

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:31 am

China's population solution worked but its not right at all. It is nowhere near ethical for a government to mandate how many children a person can have and punish them for not following those guidelines because every women is different, meaning every women doesnt give birth to just 1 child. And what I saw from the video with doctors not being able to tell awaiting mothers the sex of the babies it makes my judgement even worse.

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

Post  Arock iHurdle Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:47 pm

maryamnewman wrote:2. What do you think about China's population solution? What social issues have arisen/will arise in future years as a result of China's population solution? What can China's government do to help solve these social problems?

I think that China's population solution would be very effective if the millions of lives of baby girls were not put at risk. These are actual human beings, and to hear of these young children being treated in such inhumane ways breaks my heart because I personally love babies. It is totally understandable that the government must take these procedures for the sake of China, but there lies a larger problem at hand that isnt properly being dealt with. Adoption, unfortunately, saves only a small fraction of these little girl's lives. Therefore something bigger and much more effective should be done, because this issue will ultimatey be the downfall of China. Little girls should be allowed government support. The increasing population of males will only result in higher crime rates and less reproduction.
Maryam I totally agree with your answer about China's population solution. The future of the women of China is definitely diminishing and will become "extinct" if they don't find out another plan for the increasing population.

Arock iHurdle

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty Logical!

Post  Cheli Foster Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:24 am

Arock iHurdle wrote:Answer question #2: I think China's population solution is logical but totally unethical. The solution forces Chinese citizens to limit there children and I don't think thats fair. It also causes the people of China to face a future social problem of not having enough women in China to mate with the rapidly increasing male population. This could be a major setback in the Chinese future because if you don't have women you don't have babies. Although the solution to China's population crisis is unethical, it is the most logical thing i could have thought of. But, if i were going to continue to carry out that plan, I would balance out the women and men alike. Too much of either gender is improper. king

You know. I had never even thought of it this way Aaron. I was so quick to rant about how unethical it its. But like you said, it is a completely logical for now.But do you really believe that if it were us in that same situation we would still feel the same way.

Cheli Foster

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty No money. No responsibility

Post  Cheli Foster Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:29 am

kurt.ragan wrote:I think that China's population solution is a very bad one. i think its bad because families have begun throwing girls away because they want a son. they should be able to have whatever kids they want but with no financial aid either way. if u want a kid you better be able to pay for it.

You're right Kurt, China does have a very bad population. But even in America we have children when we cannot afford them, so do you think that aspect will deter people enough to makd a significant change in China.

Cheli Foster

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - China's Population Empty yupp

Post  kurt.ragan Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:29 pm

DanManzella wrote:I think china's population solution is wrong and should be stopped. Its unethical for someone to control how many children a person can have and immoral to punish them for not following ridiculous guidelines. it isn't right for the fact that if someone where to accidentally get pregnant with a second child, even tho they were trying to follow the guidelines, they would be forced to abort one of gods creations or put it up for adoption and have to live with that thought every day. There is plenty more wrong with guidelines in the first place. Setting limitations only increases desire and increases population in the first place. No body else in the world has these problems so obviously the problem isn't the people just rapidly breeding, the real problem is the weak excuse for a government, otherwise known as communism.
i believe what you said makes total since. the laws that china has put into place are unethical and very wrong. life should not be limited.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next