H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - The Colony

+19
Hayz.Adkison
Ben Johnson
arielaskew
ssaraheadess
KristinaRider
Zach Huhmann
chrisprincivalli
serenasomerville
Cheli Foster
ScubaSteve.Smith
maryamnewman
BrittanyE
Azia Aldridge
Arock iHurdle
BriannaMoore
kurt.ragan
DanManzella
lindsay-moody
Admin
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

5th Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour - The Colony

Post  chrisprincivalli Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:20 pm

maryamnewman wrote:
Arock iHurdle wrote:Let me start by saying, this series is absolutely BRILLIANT!! ok now to the point. I think if i was placed in the colony for 50+ days i would thrive in it. Although some might beg to differ I am very crafty and I "think on my toes". i seem to work better under pressure. And, even though I'm not an aggressive person naturally, i protect my own. The situations and circumstances this people are living under i believe i would adapt to accordingly and be a major contribution to the group. I would definitely have to say that the colonists need to develop an organized security system and obtain or make some defense mechanisms or weapons. But, as far as me handling myself in the colony, i think i would do really good. Cool
You look like you would do something like that! I couldnt do it for no reason at all.
It sounds like your ready for this challenge i am too! we can only hope they make a 3rd season hopefully we will get picked!

chrisprincivalli

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Huhmann Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:16 pm

I find the show a little pointless but very informative because you never know it could happen and how to address the situation at hand. It would be an interesting 50+ days i mean it would be challenging but everyone will get out of their comfort zone and do what it takes to survive. Especially being with a group of people you know practically nothing about. I seriously have no idea what I would have to offer but i think it is it will come out when I'm in that sort of situation. i think that they should of focused on water, then food, then shelter, then safety. safety should of been focused of after the saw the people come in for food and water. Though that is just my opinion.

Zach Huhmann

Back to top Go down

Post  KristinaRider Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:43 pm

I think that I would be a good canidate for this tv show. I am good at formulating plans. Plans could be created for gathering water or gathering food. I would be scared out of my mind if invaders came in and demanded food and water. I also dont mind being outside. To me, the show seems kind of scripted, but they had a few good things such as the filtration system for the water, and dividing the food up to make it last as long as possible. bounce

KristinaRider

Back to top Go down

Post  KristinaRider Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:45 pm

Cheli Foster wrote:I wish i was on the colony. I definantly would be quite frustrated especially if there were people who just wanted to take the easy way of everything. I also would probably be alot more jumpy than they are but also very serious. I think if I were to go on the colony i would definantly bring a sense of leadership and motivation. I like to get things done by priority. So I would be able to mentally map out what needed to get done in order of importance to the colony. I would be there to encourage them after a big riot and say okay, DANG! WEGOT BEAT! But, now lets get back up and figure out how to stop them quicker next time. Or say No dont go take a nap, we are all tired. Help out dude! So I defianlty think I could bring alot to the colony if I were involved with the show :Smile Maybe in a few years
I agree with you point about things getting done by priority. This would get the major things out of the way so you wont have to worry about them later.

KristinaRider

Back to top Go down

Post  KristinaRider Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:47 pm

maryamnewman wrote:A top priority of mine would be water. Food can wait. Water is an essential part of short term survival and members of the colony would not be able to function without it, though the others are quite significant as well. A human body can function for a longer period of time without food than without water, and of course it is your own health that comes before anything.
I agree with your comment on water. Water maybe easier to get a hold of (depending on geographical location) than it is to hung or gather.

KristinaRider

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty That is a panic attack waiting to happen..

Post  ssaraheadess Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:52 pm

I would not be able to adjust to The Colony that well, maybe not even at all. I'm too used to the society we live in now to be able to survive in those conditions. No clean water? Having to hunt/fish for my own food? Random violent intruders? No thank you. I'll just stick with my Gatorade, processed food, and lockable doors.
The main part that would make it unlivable to me is the low sanitation. It just grosses me out. I couldn't live in that. The idea of seeing all those maggots and dirt, and imaging all the bacteria and diseases going around that area is a mental nightmare.

I probably wouldn't be that much of a gain in The Colony. I have really no knowledge of engineering, mechanics, carpentry, anything technological. My only possible positive impact is a communication factor, that I can talk to most people easily. I could try to make negotiations, or simply talk to the strangers I'd have to spend the next 50 days with. That's really about it.

The show is really interesting, and a concept that's original, but it's not something I would get myself into.

ssaraheadess

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty The Colony Life

Post  arielaskew Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Out of all the priorities I think that the most important one that they had was producing fire because the fire is important to cook food and boil water which they need to survive. I think that the priority that wasnt really as important as the others were the medical supplies because they could possibly find other ways for any cure they might need maybe without the need of medicine.

arielaskew

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Johnson Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:54 pm

[quote="Arock iHurdle"][quote="kurt.ragan"]when looking at the priorities that the colonist picked, they were all essential. the one that i would have worked on obtaining first is the water because you can only live so ling without it. But i wouldn't have left security till the end. the one i would have been least worried about is shelter because it should have been obvious that it wouldn't have been hard to find for them.

a side note that bothers me is that since it is a tv show there is no real way for them to protect themselves to their full potential because u cant really hurt anyone on t.v. i dont think anything would have been taken at all if reno would of been able to do whatever he wanted.

Kurt, i totally agree with you on the defense part because like you said, without being able to hurt anyone (because of it begin a show), the survivors really couldn't establish true security

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Johnson Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:57 pm

arielaskew wrote:Out of all the priorities I think that the most important one that they had was producing fire because the fire is important to cook food and boil water which they need to survive. I think that the priority that wasnt really as important as the others were the medical supplies because they could possibly find other ways for any cure they might need maybe without the need of medicine.
i totally agree with you on fire needing to be a necessity, without the fire there wouldnt even be clean water, or cooked food, so i would say fire is a definite top three choice

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty What matters the most

Post  Ben Johnson Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:02 pm

In the colony the different people had their own views on which key things to get first. I think the most important would have been fire because without the fire they couldn't cook food or biol water which means no clean source of nourishment. If i had been involved with the colony i would have established medicine last because as long as no one had to touch the outsiders, no one would have to worry, which is why i would put security before medicine, also with security they wouldn't have to worry about things (like the food, water, and medicine) being stolen.

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty ?? CRAYZ ??

Post  Hayz.Adkison Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:26 am

I think these people are crazy because if i was put in this situation i would go crazy, lol. I don't know why people would put there life on hold like that, it almost makes no sense to me. If i sit down and really think about it all, i'd have to say it may be fun at first. Once everything got down to actually thinking about who get show much of what and when then i would get mad and crabby. I wouldn't want to share what little of pour supplies i left. I would hate to be in a large group and have all of our supplies stolen to and having to use them on other needs besides eating and drinking. If i was in a group like this my best quality that i would bring to group is my ability to have good team work and the ability to keep everyone together. I also thin that with me being an athlete i can bring the muscle that some task will take in order to be completed. If i had a choice i think i would choose not to do this type of activity in my life. I think it would all personally turn out bad.

Hayz.Adkison

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayz.Adkison Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:57 am

lindsay-moody wrote:I think it would be extremely cool to be on the colony. I'm sure it'd be difficult and I would get crabby sometimes, but i love being outdoors. I go camping all the time and have been in hostile camping situations where i got lost and had to identify different plants that i could eat safely while i found my way back with my fellow campers and i know several methods of water filtration and purification. I'm also CPR certified Smile

I think that being outside and having outdoor adventures is cool too but if i don't know about my surroundings and everything i would freak out. And it hink its very cool that you can brin gthose kinds of traits with you to help out your crew. If you were put in this situation i think you would be a very good team mate on the surviving method. Smile

Hayz.Adkison

Back to top Go down

Post  DanManzella Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:53 pm

Zach Huhmann wrote:I find the show a little pointless but very informative because you never know it could happen and how to address the situation at hand. It would be an interesting 50+ days i mean it would be challenging but everyone will get out of their comfort zone and do what it takes to survive. Especially being with a group of people you know practically nothing about. I seriously have no idea what I would have to offer but i think it is it will come out when I'm in that sort of situation. i think that they should of focused on water, then food, then shelter, then safety. safety should of been focused of after the saw the people come in for food and water. Though that is just my opinion.

i agree that the show is pointless since they are expected to defend themselves but cant actually hurt the people on television. i also agree that it would b taking people out of their comfort zone and that water should be first priortiy..

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

Post  DanManzella Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:57 pm

Ben Johnson wrote:In the colony the different people had their own views on which key things to get first. I think the most important would have been fire because without the fire they couldn't cook food or biol water which means no clean source of nourishment. If i had been involved with the colony i would have established medicine last because as long as no one had to touch the outsiders, no one would have to worry, which is why i would put security before medicine, also with security they wouldn't have to worry about things (like the food, water, and medicine) being stolen.

i agree that the fire is important but if they dont get the food and water your reasoning for the fire was pointless and they wasted their time making the fire. i also agree that medicine should be a last priortiy

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

Post  arielaskew Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Hayz.Adkison wrote:I think these people are crazy because if i was put in this situation i would go crazy, lol. I don't know why people would put there life on hold like that, it almost makes no sense to me. If i sit down and really think about it all, i'd have to say it may be fun at first. Once everything got down to actually thinking about who get show much of what and when then i would get mad and crabby. I wouldn't want to share what little of pour supplies i left. I would hate to be in a large group and have all of our supplies stolen to and having to use them on other needs besides eating and drinking. If i was in a group like this my best quality that i would bring to group is my ability to have good team work and the ability to keep everyone together. I also thin that with me being an athlete i can bring the muscle that some task will take in order to be completed. If i had a choice i think i would choose not to do this type of activity in my life. I think it would all personally turn out bad.
I agree with you because when you actually think about it what the doing isnt really proving a point..its not Survivor or Endurance.

arielaskew

Back to top Go down

Post  arielaskew Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:37 pm

serenasomerville wrote:the essential resource that i would of been most worried about is water. we can only go so long without food. i could do without food. the essential resource that i wouldn't of been worried about would of been the shelter. if it came down to it i could do without shelter it isn't a dier situation. i wonder why people would put themselves in this position. its reality television.
I agree that water is one of the most important priorities but I think shelter is also important because you would need somewhere safe to be incase of a natural disaster or anything for that matter and a safe place to store things because I would find it really hard to carry every single thing you have everywhere you go.

arielaskew

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:24 pm

This is one of the craziest shows that i have ever seen! Shocked

Okay for starters, water is definitely the main priority because without water, you will die. your body is mostly water, so having drinkable water is the smartest thing to have. I think all of those priorities are very important but i guess i would have to go with fire. yes you NEED heat, but you can find other ways to make heat like....body heat! haha

George is a wimp....Reno is HOT Wink Jim is a gangster. Cool

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:32 pm

ScubaSteve.Smith wrote:If i was placed on the show i would bring I would contribute the hard work at making fires,bringing the buckets of water back to the colony, and fighting for protection. I used to Box, so i would be good at defending the colony. Also i am often in the weight room, so i have strength to help out with the hard work.

HA EVERYBODY in 5th hour knows that i would not survive a day on this show. i can barely remember to unplug my charger in the morning. Neutral i dont know why anybody would put their selves in that type of position. Thats crazy stuff. Steve, you might say all of this now, but i bet once you actually have the slightest chance on this show, you will give up. its harder than it looks.

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:38 pm

Arock iHurdle wrote:Let me start by saying, this series is absolutely BRILLIANT!! ok now to the point. I think if i was placed in the colony for 50+ days i would thrive in it. Although some might beg to differ I am very crafty and I "think on my toes". i seem to work better under pressure. And, even though I'm not an aggressive person naturally, i protect my own. The situations and circumstances this people are living under i believe i would adapt to accordingly and be a major contribution to the group. I would definitely have to say that the colonists need to develop an organized security system and obtain or make some defense mechanisms or weapons. But, as far as me handling myself in the colony, i think i would do really good. Cool

Aaron, your crazy!!! How could you ever possibly want to do this challenge? WOW im sorry but i think most of us in 5th hour, are too materialistic. its a t.v. show, real life is different from this, the colony is just a little nibble, if you ever have to honestly go through this, then you can actually tell yourself that you can do this. You get too hyped off the oddest things... Rolling Eyes

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

Post  ssaraheadess Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:47 am

JennyHuynh123 wrote:
ScubaSteve.Smith wrote:If i was placed on the show i would bring I would contribute the hard work at making fires,bringing the buckets of water back to the colony, and fighting for protection. I used to Box, so i would be good at defending the colony. Also i am often in the weight room, so i have strength to help out with the hard work.

HA EVERYBODY in 5th hour knows that i would not survive a day on this show. i can barely remember to unplug my charger in the morning. Neutral i dont know why anybody would put their selves in that type of position. Thats crazy stuff. Steve, you might say all of this now, but i bet once you actually have the slightest chance on this show, you will give up. its harder than it looks.

I completely get what you mean about 'everything is harder once you get into it'. I wouldn't be able to survive on the show either. I think that's what a lot of people do, have this image in their heads of everything they would do in that situation, and then when it actually happens, they turn into little chickens.

ssaraheadess

Back to top Go down

Post  ssaraheadess Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:54 am

Hayz.Adkison wrote:I think these people are crazy because if i was put in this situation i would go crazy, lol. I don't know why people would put there life on hold like that, it almost makes no sense to me. If i sit down and really think about it all, i'd have to say it may be fun at first. Once everything got down to actually thinking about who get show much of what and when then i would get mad and crabby. I wouldn't want to share what little of pour supplies i left. I would hate to be in a large group and have all of our supplies stolen to and having to use them on other needs besides eating and drinking. If i was in a group like this my best quality that i would bring to group is my ability to have good team work and the ability to keep everyone together. I also thin that with me being an athlete i can bring the muscle that some task will take in order to be completed. If i had a choice i think i would choose not to do this type of activity in my life. I think it would all personally turn out bad.

I agree with you. If they were winning money or something from the show, that would be more of a motivation, but it's just a experiment. That's just the greedy American in me. But if I had to leave my family for 50 days, and basically have to live in hell, and not get any reward or anything for it, I would peeved. To me, it would have seemed like a waste of time. No one wants to leave their loved ones.

ssaraheadess

Back to top Go down

Post  lindsay-moody Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:37 pm

kurt.ragan wrote:when looking at the priorities that the colonist picked, they were all essential. the one that i would have worked on obtaining first is the water because you can only live so ling without it. But i wouldn't have left security till the end. the one i would have been least worried about is shelter because it should have been obvious that it wouldn't have been hard to find for them.

a side note that bothers me is that since it is a tv show there is no real way for them to protect themselves to their full potential because u cant really hurt anyone on t.v. i dont think anything would have been taken at all if reno would of been able to do whatever he wanted.

i totally agree... water is completely essential for life, and nothing else is nearly as important as getting clean water.

lindsay-moody

Back to top Go down

Post  lindsay-moody Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:40 pm

Cheli Foster wrote:I wish i was on the colony. I definantly would be quite frustrated especially if there were people who just wanted to take the easy way of everything. I also would probably be alot more jumpy than they are but also very serious. I think if I were to go on the colony i would definantly bring a sense of leadership and motivation. I like to get things done by priority. So I would be able to mentally map out what needed to get done in order of importance to the colony. I would be there to encourage them after a big riot and say okay, DANG! WEGOT BEAT! But, now lets get back up and figure out how to stop them quicker next time. Or say No dont go take a nap, we are all tired. Help out dude! So I defianlty think I could bring alot to the colony if I were involved with the show :Smile Maybe in a few years

peple need leadership and motivation, so those are good skills Smile We should do it!!!

lindsay-moody

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:42 pm

BrittanyE wrote:2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?
If I were placed in a similar scenario for50+ days I would go crazy. I would be the person who always wants to fight and will be stingy and try to ration the food. The abilities that I could bring to the group is my ability to think rationally in times of panic and fear. I could also use my common sense and make good decisions that will benefit everyone.

I think that almost everyone who decided to participate in the colony would go through the stage of being stingy and trying to kill the other cast mates maybe because the water wasn't clean enough or you just cant stand the sight of them. Surprised

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty BUT....

Post  Cheli Foster Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:08 pm

lindsay-moody wrote:I think it would be extremely cool to be on the colony. I'm sure it'd be difficult and I would get crabby sometimes, but i love being outdoors. I go camping all the time and have been in hostile camping situations where i got lost and had to identify different plants that i could eat safely while i found my way back with my fellow campers and i know several methods of water filtration and purification. I'm also CPR certified Smile

I think you would make a great addition to the colony lindsay! But you never mentioned ... do you think you could be emotionally strong enough to endure those conditions for 50 days? What weakness woquld you briwng to the table? If not yourselfw.. Who in our class do you think would be a good leader for that kind of group and why?

Cheli Foster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next