H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - Careers in Biology

+8
arielaskew
kurt.ragan
BrittanyE
JennyHuynh123
KristinaRider
BriannaMoore
DanManzella
Admin
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5th Hour - Careers in Biology Empty 5th Hour - Careers in Biology

Post  Admin Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Visit Emporia State University's website at http://www.emporia.edu/biosci/carebiol.htm to investigate careers in biology. Select two to investigate and briefly describe what you learned about each. IF THE LINKS NO LONGER WORK, GOOGLE THE CAREERS YOU ARE CURIOUS ABOUT. Make sure to include the following in your post:

1. Name of career
2. Number of years of education required
3. Projected salary
4. Reasoning/motivation for invesitgating this career

Make sure to respond to at least two of your classmates' posts in order to receive full credit for this discussion board.

Initial Post Due: Thursday, November 10 at 11:59 pm
Response Posts Due: Sunday, November 13 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

https://ahancock.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Careers in Biology Empty My Choices.

Post  DanManzella Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:11 pm

1.)Career: Physiology
Education: It takes 5-7 years of study after college.
Salary: Average $85,181
Why I picked this career: They study the human mind.
I learned: That physiology was recognized in the early 1960's and that human physiology dates back to the 420 B.C.

2.) Career: Genetic Counselor
Education: Master degree and certification.
Salary: Average $54,832
Why I picked this career: You get to help others.
I learned: Disorders like cystic fibrosis and sickle cell anemia only occurs when both the mother and father pass along the gene.

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Careers in Biology Empty Re: 5th Hour - Careers in Biology

Post  BriannaMoore Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:43 am

1.)Career: Genetic Counselor
Education: M.S. training in master's degree program from an ABGC accredited programs in human genetics / genetic counseling.
I picked this career because it sounded interesting but I honestly wouldn't go into this career.
I learned that good geneticists have a basic curiosity and passion about the genetic basis of health and disease. To be successful at the job, one must have perseverance, patience, and good communication skills. The extensive scientific training and many years of education required to become a geneticist do not deter those committed.

2.) Career: Clinical Geneticist and/or Researcher
Education: M.D. training in medical school with residency in internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics, or other area; then genetics fellowship in ABMG accredited program
Salary: Average 44,698
Why I picked this career because the name had a nice ring to it honestly and the description was cool,
I learned that Medical genetics is the application of genetics to the study of human health and diseases. As a profession, medical genetics is usually a mixture of both clinical services and research. Worldwide, services can include diagnosis, counseling, and management of birth defects and genetic disorders. How medical genetics is actually practiced depends on several factors, including the expertise and training of the professionals involved, the expertise available within any given medical facility, and the structure of the practice of medicine within a given society.

I didnt like any of the jobs or careers that you had listed! Neutral

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

Post  KristinaRider Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:13 pm

1) The first career i chose was Research Geneticist. They require atleast a Masters degree, so between 4-7 years of college, and they make 88,000+ per year. I chose this career because i think it would be interestiing to do investigations on DNA, and help to develop medicens.

2) The second career i chose was Toxicology in Forensic Science. This career requires a masters degree or higher. They make about 55,500-81,000+ per year. I chose this career also because to me, learning about how alcohol and drugs effect the body is interesting. alien

KristinaRider

Back to top Go down

Post  KristinaRider Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:17 pm

DanManzella wrote:1.)Career: Physiology
I learned: That physiology was recognized in the early 1960's and that human physiology dates back to the 420 B.C.

2.) Career: Genetic Counselor
Education: Master degree and certification.
Why I picked this career: You get to help others.
I learned: Disorders like cystic fibrosis and sickle cell anemia only occurs when both the mother and father pass along the gene.
I agree with you about Genetic Counselor. It would be interesting to see how deal with their genetic disorder.

KristinaRider

Back to top Go down

Post  KristinaRider Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:19 pm

BriannaMoore wrote:1.)Career: Genetic Counselor
Education: M.S. training in master's degree program from an ABGC accredited programs in human genetics / genetic counseling.
I picked this career because it sounded interesting but I honestly wouldn't go into this career.
I learned that good geneticists have a basic curiosity and passion about the genetic basis of health and disease. To be successful at the job, one must have perseverance, patience, and good communication skills. The extensive scientific training and many years of education required to become a geneticist do not deter those committed.

Education: M.D. training in medical school with residency in internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics, or other area; then genetics fellowship in ABMG accredited program
Why I picked this career because the name had a nice ring to it honestly and the description was cool,
I learned that Medical genetics is the application of genetics to the study of human health and diseases. As a profession, medical genetics is usually a mixture of both clinical services and research. Worldwide, services can include diagnosis, counseling, and management of birth defects and genetic disorders. How medical genetics is actually practiced depends on several factors, including the expertise and training of the professionals involved, the expertise available within any given medical facility, and the structure of the practice of medicine within a given society.

I think that having a job as a Clinical Researcher would be great. You would be able to see how different medicens effect people.

KristinaRider

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:41 pm

1.) Physiology
5-7 years of study after college
@ $85,181
I chose this study because you get learn how the body works. I learned that in this study you learn how the body works together, how your cells work and ect.

2.) Research Geneticist
4-7 years of college
88,000 and more per year
i chose this career because i think it would be cool to have something to do with DNA, you could find out interesting stuff like who was the real father and ect. haha (:

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:42 pm

KristinaRider wrote:1) The first career i chose was Research Geneticist. They require atleast a Masters degree, so between 4-7 years of college, and they make 88,000+ per year. I chose this career because i think it would be interestiing to do investigations on DNA, and help to develop medicens.

2) The second career i chose was Toxicology in Forensic Science. This career requires a masters degree or higher. They make about 55,500-81,000+ per year. I chose this career also because to me, learning about how alcohol and drugs effect the body is interesting. alien

I agree of the Research Geneticist, it seems that it would be quit interesting

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:44 pm

BriannaMoore wrote:1.)Career: Genetic Counselor

I agree, I didn't really like any of these careers.

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:15 pm

I learned: That physiology was recognized in the early 1960's and that human physiology dates back to the 420 B.C

Why I picked this career: I learned that Medical genetics is the application of genetics to the study of human health and diseases. As a profession, medical genetics is usually a mixture of both clinical services and research. Worldwide, services can include diagnosis, counseling, and management of birth defects and genetic disorders. How medical genetics is actually practiced depends on several factors, including the expertise and training of the professionals involved, the expertise available within any given medical facility, and the structure of the practice of medicine within a given society.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:15 pm

JennyHuynh123 wrote:
KristinaRider wrote:1) The first career i chose was Research Geneticist. They require atleast a Masters degree, so between 4-7 years of college, and they make 88,000+ per year. I chose this career because i think it would be interestiing to do investigations on DNA, and help to develop medicens.

I agree of the Research Geneticist, it seems that it would be quit interesting

I learned: That physiology was recognized in the early 1960's and that human physiology dates back to the 420 B.C

Why I picked this career: I learned that Medical genetics is the application of genetics to the study of human health and diseases. As a profession, medical genetics is usually a mixture of both clinical services and research. Worldwide, services can include diagnosis, counseling, and management of birth defects and genetic disorders. How medical genetics is actually practiced depends on several factors, including the expertise and training of the professionals involved, the expertise available within any given medical facility, and the structure of the practice of medicine within a given society.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Admin wrote:Visit Emporia State University's website at http://www.emporia.edu/biosci/carebiol.htm to investigate careers in biology. Select two to investigate and briefly describe what you learned about each. IF THE LINKS NO LONGER WORK, GOOGLE THE CAREERS YOU ARE CURIOUS ABOUT. Make sure to include the following in your post:

1. Name of career
2. Number of years of education required
3. Projected salary
4. Reasoning/motivation for invesitgating this career

Make sure to respond to at least two of your classmates' posts in order to receive full credit for this discussion board.

Initial Post Due: Thursday, November 10 at 11:59 pm
Response Posts Due: Sunday, November 13 at 11:59 pm

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  DanManzella Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:55 pm

I agree with you on the Research Geneticist, it would be interesting trying to develop new medicines.

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

Post  DanManzella Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:09 pm

JennyHuynh123 wrote:1.) Physiology
@ $85,181
I chose this study because you get learn how the body works. I learned that in this study you learn how the body works together, how your cells work and ect.

2.) Research Geneticist
4-7 years of college
88,000 and more per year
i chose this career because i think it would be cool to have something to do with DNA, you could find out interesting stuff like who was the real father and ect. haha (:

I agree it would be interesting finding things out about yourself.

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Careers in Biology Empty Biology?

Post  kurt.ragan Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:04 pm

1. physiology
- 5-7 years out of highschool
- around $85,000
- i picked this career because it is about how the brain works and how elaborate your mind is
- i learned that there is a lot more to the mind and how our body works than i thought

2. Clinical Geneticist/Researcher
- M.D. training in medical school with residency in internal medicine, pediatrics, obstetrics, or other area; then genetics fellowship in ABMG accredited program
- about 45,000
- I picked this career because i dont like birth defects so i want to try and prevent them
- i learned that clinical Geneticist/researchers study birth defects.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Careers in Biology Empty Careers

Post  arielaskew Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:33 pm

1) Career: Forensic Science
Number of years of education required: 4 years
Projected salary: $56,000/yr
Reasoning/motivation for investigating this career: To possibly look into a career in the crime scene examination profession because investigations of crime have always been an interest of mine.

2) Career: Oceanography
Number of years of education required: 6 years
Projected salary: Starting at $32,000 ti $40,000/yr and $87,007/yr for managerial and supervisory positions
Reason/motivation for investigating this career: I have always had an interest in learning and studying animals and things of the sea.

arielaskew

Back to top Go down

Post  arielaskew Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:53 pm

I think that a career in Research Genetics would be intersting as well because you not only have a good salary but you also study DNA and develop medicines that are important for human bodies.

arielaskew

Back to top Go down

Post  arielaskew Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:58 pm

@ $85,181

2.) Research Geneticist
4-7 years of college
88,000 and more per year
I agree with a career in Physiology because learning and being able to know how the body works is an important part of science and its jobs.

arielaskew

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Careers in Biology Empty jobs

Post  chrisprincivalli Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:57 pm

welll its always has been an interest of mine to understand the human mind and 80 grand a year is nice too
2) career: Micro industrail biology
Education:4 years college
salary: 75000
i think it would be cool besause you can make medicine for people

chrisprincivalli

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Careers in Biology Empty BIOLOGY

Post  Ben Johnson Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:01 pm

1.) Career: Physiology
Education: 5-7 years of study after college.
Reason: It relates to around 1500 years ago which I think is amazing, so I could carry on the tradition.
Learned: This career was recognized in the 20th century.

2.) Career: Forensic Science
Education: 4 years
Salary: $56,000/yr
Reason: Mostly because the pay is modest, and I could be involved in police work.
Learned:There are many forensic scientists that work on scenes of crimes to help solve cases.

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Careers in Biology Empty Yay!

Post  Cheli Foster Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:02 am

My options are vet and a zoologist.
Veterinanry Medicine requires at least 6 years as well as a zoologist needs at least a Bachelor's degree.
Zoologist projected wages are looking at 55,00. Whereas Veterinary Medicine is looking at 80,000. I chose to investigate both of these carrers because they work closely with animals which has always been a great passion of mine.

Cheli Foster

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Careers in Biology Empty HaHa

Post  Cheli Foster Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:00 pm

I agree with your second carreer i also find that interesting. You should watch World's mOst deadliest drug it will take you through a brief overview of how they affect different types of people. Money isn't too bad eithier cheers interesting carrer chioice lol

Cheli Foster

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Careers in Biology Empty good!

Post  Cheli Foster Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:05 pm

chrisprincivalli wrote:1.)Career: Physiology
welll its always has been an interest of mine to understand the human mind and 80 grand a year is nice too
2) career: Micro industrail biology
Education:4 years college
salary: 75000
i think it would be cool besause you can make medicine for people
I would have never guessed these foor you with your high energy level But I think they will level you out moreand could take you far in life way to prove me wrong Chris Very Happy I agree the money isnt bad eithier

Cheli Foster

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:41 pm

@ $85,181

2.) Research Geneticist
4-7 years of college
88,000 and more per year

Research Geneticist does sound cool to look into.

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Cheli Foster wrote:My options are vet and a zoologist.
Veterinanry Medicine requires at least 6 years as well as a zoologist needs at least a Bachelor's degree.
Zoologist projected wages are looking at 55,00. Whereas Veterinary Medicine is looking at 80,000. I chose to investigate both of these careers because they work closely with animals which has always been a great passion of mine.

These careers fit you because your such a loving person Smile lol

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next