H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour - The Colony

+19
Trey Neal
AlexisGonzalez
alexushughes
camenistic strickland
Jharold21
BriaMcGhee1
ROBBYECANADA
Devin McCullough
ChrissyMaes
jackie!!schultz
adamobrock
Logan Huddleston1
Erika Edmonds
Kara Gordon
brianadreid16
dkeiyathomas
JessLockette
Jonesayy
Admin
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty Re: 3rd Hour - The Colony

Post  ROBBYECANADA Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:21 am

JessLockette wrote:
Everybody seems to think that just fighting the people off is the answer, but I don't really think it is. It takes more than that to survive a situation like this. The people in the video tried their hardest too; they didn't just let them take it. I also think that it would be hard to "forget" about technology... you can adapt overtime but it would take a really long time to do so.

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

Post  Devin McCullough Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:23 am

ROBBYECANADA wrote:2. How do you think you would do if placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days? What abilities would you bring that the group would benefit from?
----I'm really not sure how I would do. My knowledge of living without normal resources (water, electricity, and etc) is limited. I would probably be the first one to die. lol! I think that my biggest attribute that I could bring would be my ability to think about things more in depth; I could try to see how certain things would affect the group in the long run. However, even that would be limited. I just couldn't do it.

Thats no ok if you cant live without electricty for 50+ days. I think you would should see it from another view and try to do more work and less thinking to survive and hopefully you could live because thinking about what's going to happen in the long run is good, but its not going to help with whats happening at the moment. Very Happy

Last edited by Devin McCullough on Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total

Devin McCullough

Back to top Go down

Post  BriaMcGhee1 Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:26 am

If i was placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days i think i would probably be cool . I know that i could enlighten the situation by being silly and making people smile . because when you are having fun time will fly by. I also know that i would put up a really really good fight when it comes to invasions. i personally feel like they faught against those invaders horribly! i would have guarded that food with my LIFE. my strength and ability to think in hard situations would improve the group in alot of ways. Im also very paranoid so i know that if i was there i would have made up a plan or at least discussed the fact that people may invade! and that we need to be fully prepared for when it happens because they were a HOT mess when it came to guarding and fighting.

BriaMcGhee1

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty BRuh.....YU already know

Post  Jharold21 Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:26 am

BEin in this certain situation, if i was in this situation, AT first i wouldnt know what to do but sooner or later it would come to my head that i have to get my self together and do what i can to help myself and the people im with. And YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT i would bring to the table...FIRST OF ALL.. Strength....Second, Skills....THird, Smarts!!....LAST BUT MOST IMPORTANT>>>>>>>SWAAGGGGG!!!! lol Razz Laughing .....ON sum real

Jharold21

Back to top Go down

Post  Devin McCullough Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:27 am

dkeiyathomas wrote:I believe that if I was put in this situation I would be able to survive and fight off some of the people. I would be able to survive off fish, crackers, and the food in the cans. Although we would have to go get water from the banks (or whatever we get the water from), I think I would be able to survive in this place. I would bring about strength and not being lazy to the group. If we needed water or we needed some fish to eat, I would volunteer to go get it.

I agree that you should at least try help the situation that you are in and do something productive.

Devin McCullough

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty I FEEL U BRUH

Post  Jharold21 Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:30 am

Logan Huddleston1 wrote:The biggest priority is definitely water. You can only go about a week with out water at the most, and that is if you are doing nothing and not sweating. You need water to survive and that is the end of it. I do think that after the first time they had invaders that they should have came up with some type of plan for just in case there were intruders again and especially if there were more. Their priorities were good for the information that they had. There didn't sound like there was anything wrong with them.

_I agree with you a hujndred percetn bro swagg,

Jharold21

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty YOU STUNTIN

Post  Jharold21 Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:32 am

dkeiyathomas wrote:I believe that if I was put in this situation I would be able to survive and fight off some of the people. I would be able to survive off fish, crackers, and the food in the cans. Although we would have to go get water from the banks (or whatever we get the water from), I think I would be able to survive in this place. I would bring about strength and not being lazy to the group. If we needed water or we needed some fish to eat, I would volunteer to go get it.

HOw u gon lie like that lhh but yea i would to

Jharold21

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty PRIORITIES AND SURVIVAL

Post  camenistic strickland Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:43 pm

After watching 'the colony' sample i was impressed at the instant ingenuity and creativity of some of the participants. Food, fire, shelter, security, and water were the five priorities listed for participants to achieve in order to secure a colony. Despite having attained four of the five priorities, security was a huge element which constantly left the people threatened by outside forces....(sounds like honors world history lecture)... In my opinion, I believe shelter was the top priority next to security because I think the type of shelter, it's location, and stability play a big role in the outcome of the group's survival. Had they picked the tent or some other flimsy building, they would've been even more vulnerable. Because they picked a sturdy structure though, they had 'a sense of security', a rain collector, suitable storage space, a possible fort, and a sleeping headquarters. farao If I had been involved in 'the colony', I think food would be my least important priority because the body can survive with little to no food for weeks but not without water for more than three days. The other priorities I believe are necessary to survive otherwise they are extremely weak and vulnerable. study

camenistic strickland

Back to top Go down

Post  camenistic strickland Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Logan Huddleston1 wrote:The biggest priority is definitely water. You can only go about a week with out water at the most, and that is if you are doing nothing and not sweating. You need water to survive and that is the end of it. I do think that after the first time they had invaders that they should have came up with some type of plan for just in case there were intruders again and especially if there were more. Their priorities were good for the information that they had. There didn't sound like there was anything wrong with them.

- bounce -What you said is just about in line with what I was talking about. Food would more than likely be at the bottom of my priority list(if i were still thinking rationally) and security and shelter at the top of my list. Did it bother you that they never came up with a developed security or invasion raid plan? it bothered me a little bit. If i was with them i don't think i would feel completely safe, i don't care...

camenistic strickland

Back to top Go down

Post  camenistic strickland Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:55 pm

adamobrock wrote:After watching this episode, i believe the most important priority they had was finding water. The human body cannot survive for long without water. It could also be used for more than drinking. It can be used for sanitation, as well as cooking. Not only did they find water, they also found a way to filter it and boil it. By filtering and bioling the water, they made sure it was safe for consumption. Had they not done that, the water could have contained many harmful pathogens.
Were I in that situation (which i will hopefully never be in) my first priority would be to find a safe and secure place to stay. I feel most at ease with a good, dry structure over my head.

-I glad I'm not the only one who feels that shelter is a big priority. Shelter can determine a good nights sleep which means your brain and body have time to rest and heal, nerves relax, all the good necessary stuff. Plus a shelter, depending on the building, can vary into other things like i said. I would also like to say that I agree fully with you, Adam and Logan, water is highly important is necessary for the body to function. Food is a necessity but not on the scale that water is.. Cool

camenistic strickland

Back to top Go down

Post  camenistic strickland Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:59 pm

BriaMcGhee1 wrote:If i was placed in a similar scenario for 50+ days i think i would probably be cool . I know that i could enlighten the situation by being silly and making people smile . because when you are having fun time will fly by. I also know that i would put up a really really good fight when it comes to invasions. i personally feel like they faught against those invaders horribly! i would have guarded that food with my LIFE. my strength and ability to think in hard situations would improve the group in alot of ways. Im also very paranoid so i know that if i was there i would have made up a plan or at least discussed the fact that people may invade! and that we need to be fully prepared for when it happens because they were a HOT mess when it came to guarding and fighting.

- lol! lol! I can relate to wut ur saying. I don't think i'd sleep well the first few nights and when i got my chance to fight those people, they'd left with scratches, bruises, and sores, you ain't hungry....keep walkin' fool. bounce

camenistic strickland

Back to top Go down

Post  camenistic strickland Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Erika Edmonds wrote:If i was on the show, i would bring intelligence and rationality to the table. i wouldn't be all useless, wandering around on a bike. I wouldn't automatically yell at the people to leave, nor would i readily give them supplies. We would have a conversation, and maybe it would turn out that our colony would be strengthened with them joining. The narrarator guy said there was strength in number, and with only 5 or 6 people, we are weak. Yes it means more mouths to feed and all that, but that stuff was going to run out soon anyway. At least with the added group, there will be more people to help with the daily survival tasks.

Didn't it seem like they hardly prepared at all for the impending mob invasion? They had like a fire extinguisher, some wood, and a pole. Come on now, make some spears out of the wood or something. Instead of having most everyone inside guarding the stuff, they should have nailed all the extra wood lying around on the windows and doors (except for one) so no one could get in. If i was on that show, we would have not gotten jacked like some punks. afro

- lol! totally agreed. thats why security is my second top priority. the 'some wood and a pole' part is funny btw

camenistic strickland

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty i'd hate to live in the colonyy

Post  alexushughes Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:20 pm

if i was placed in a similar scenario for 50 or more days i would hate it. i honestly don't think i would bring many abilities to my group besides strength and intelligence. i would probably be the one to try to get clean water because i drink so much of it daily and it'd be my number one priority. however i'm not sure if i could be the one to think of and figure out all of the things that they did, and i'm not sure how successful i would be at stopping intruders.

alexushughes

Back to top Go down

Post  alexushughes Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:22 pm

[quote="JessLockette"]When people tried to take your things and you wanted to fight them, how would you prevent them from taking it after you're both tired of fighting? I probably wouldn't forget much about the technology and be really lost and unsure of what to do and be able to think creatively for a while at first.

alexushughes

Back to top Go down

Post  alexushughes Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:38 pm

adamobrock wrote:After watching this episode, i believe the most important priority they had was finding water. The human body cannot survive for long without water. It could also be used for more than drinking. It can be used for sanitation, as well as cooking. Not only did they find water, they also found a way to filter it and boil it. By filtering and bioling the water, they made sure it was safe for consumption. Had they not done that, the water could have contained many harmful pathogens.
Were I in that situation (which i will hopefully never be in) my first priority would be to find a safe and secure place to stay. I feel most at ease with a good, dry structure over my head.
I agree their first priority was water and can have many purposes, including just living since you can't survive more than a week without it. With that said, water would still be my first priority because even though you have a place to stay something could happen to it and it could be invaded with people and taken over by them, and without water you won't be living therefore won't need a place to stay.

alexushughes

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonesayy Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:24 am

brianadreid16 wrote:If I had to be in this situation for 50+ days I think I would bring to the table protection. I would be able to ward off anyone who had come and invaded our space. I would also be able to be like the organizer of the group and designate jobs for each person to do at different times of the day until we make it out of there.

I disagree with you. U don't seem like the take charge type of person. U could probably protect some people but I doubt you would be the one calling all the shots.

Jonesayy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonesayy Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:30 am

ChrissyMaes wrote:I think the most important priority that the colonists chose was fishing/hunting because it is the hardest task and will take most of their time. The least important would probably be getting water because they could get multiple buckets at a time rather than get one every day. If I were put in this situation I don't think I would survive... or I would and I would just hate every moment of it. I would be there to help out with any situation I was needed in if I knew it was what I had to do to survive.

I agree with chrissy. It rains so of course they would get buckets of water at a time . So water would not be my first priority. The hunting and gathering would because it takes time just like chrissy said. I also do not think chrissy would survive lol.
This is BriJoe

Jonesayy

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty colony

Post  AlexisGonzalez Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:25 pm

i know this is late. Im pretty sure i could survive in the same scenario. I think i could benifit the group with my abilities to get food. I know how to fish. so i could bring in food. im patient. I would not let that group take the supplies that we worked hard for. I would build traps the next time they came. I went to police bootcamp so i know how to defend for myself and set up traps and how to work with the materials that are around me.

AlexisGonzalez

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexisGonzalez Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:40 pm

[quote="Logan Huddleston1"]: I disagree with the water part because they have plenty of water around them. i understand that should be there first priority because they cant live with out water that long. I think they should focus on food and getting a secure place for them to live in. water should be like the second thing on there list just because its easy access.

AlexisGonzalez

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexisGonzalez Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:48 pm

[quote="JessLockette"] I agree with you. I think that anybody would fight for what they worked hard for and i would do whatever it takes to survive.

AlexisGonzalez

Back to top Go down

Post  jackie!!schultz Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:07 pm

[quote="AlexisGonzalez"]
Logan Huddleston1 wrote:: I disagree with the water part because they have plenty of water around them. i understand that should be there first priority because they cant live with out water that long. I think they should focus on food and getting a secure place for them to live in. water should be like the second thing on there list just because its easy access.

But the reason they prioritized the water was because the water in the river/lake thing was dirty. That stuff was just nasty looking. Would you have wanted to drink that stuff? If they hadn't purified it, the water might have made them sick.

jackie!!schultz

Back to top Go down

Post  jackie!!schultz Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:11 pm

Kara Gordon wrote: The most important thing they did when they started out was figuring out how to get water and how to clean it properly so that it could be drank without any ill side effects. I think i would have done what they did with getting water, food , and shelter. The only thing I would have done differently was set up a gaurd at night to protect from outsiders coming in and harming me and the others because if we are killed by outside people than survivng the disease and nature is worthless.

Kara, I totally agree with you. Things would have turned out a lot different if they had thought to have someone watch over the camp.

jackie!!schultz

Back to top Go down

Post  Trey Neal Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Jonesay you sound like someone who could contribute to a colony.

Trey Neal

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - The Colony - Page 2 Empty Extreme...

Post  Lara Hamdan Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:05 pm

This was really weird and i just couldn't imagine this happening to me.
affraid
Anyway, the best thing the colonists ended up doing was trying to purify the water. I've fasted many times so i know i'd be able to survive a little while without food, but like what we learned in class, we could only go a week without water. So the best thing to do would be make sure there is access to water. Also i think it would be a good idea to split into gruops, one for each task. I would fit in the group of getting water and cleaning it. But there would be other groups for getting food, keeping shelter protected, etc. I would not be able to kill animals, i would feel too sorry, but i would eat them as long as i didnt kill them. And as for being a fighter...i dont think so.

Lara Hamdan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lara Hamdan Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:09 pm

jackie!!schultz wrote:Honestly, I really dont think that I would do very well in a situation like in the Colony. I would not do very well at killing animals for food, dealing with injuries, or staying calm. Plus I am super uncoordinated; not a great asset. But i think i have some valuable skills to offer. I am good at cooking, a good negotiator, and can do a lot of different tasks, instead of just one. Hopefully, though, i would never need to do any of that!

I agree with you completely. I would freack out and yell at everyone amd become stressed out and get wrinkles in 50 days lol, i couldnt kill animals, or help with injuries cus i hate looking at blood, but i guess i would be good in making sure our food and water was good:)

Lara Hamdan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next