H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax

+14
Nic Stewart13
ssaraheadess
lindsay-moody
serenasomerville
Arock iHurdle
maryamnewman
Ben Johnson
DanManzella
ScubaSteve.Smith
KristinaRider
Azia Aldridge
BriannaMoore
kurt.ragan
Admin
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

5th Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  kurt.ragan Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:33 pm

Ben Johnson wrote:The most convincing part of the moon hoax theory was the part about the light reflecting off of the astronaut (DV). The myth busters proved this theory wrong by using material with the same albedo as the moon's surface (IV) and set up an exact replica of the situation on the moo to see whether light could reflect off of the surface and brighten the astronaut when he was in the shadow of the lander and the experiment worked, in the picture the man looked bright just as in the original proving the moon hoax theorists wrong. 2 constants may have been, the albedo of the material, and the location of the source of light.

I like how you also chose one that had to do with shadows also because in my opinion that would be the hardest to explain when you think of it.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax

Post  kurt.ragan Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:41 pm

lindsay-moody wrote:so.... i thought the flag waving in a vacuum was pretty cool. and it was i strong point. the myth busters used an American flag that was made approximately the same way (constant) as the one used in NASA's moon mission and hooked it up to some poles to keep it from collapsing. They wanted to see if a flag would wave (DV) on the moon if there was no atmosphere (IV) if the pole was turned (constant) the way it was on the moon. when they tested waving the flag in the atmosphere, after turning the pole, the waving died down quickly. When the flag pole was turned in a vacuum, the waving continued, proving that the flag could flap on the moon, not from wind, but from unused momentum from turning the pole. santa

I see how you picked this to be the most convincing theory. It is hard to imagine how things would work out in space when you have never really been able to witness it since, well, it in space.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:40 pm

kurt.ragan wrote:The evidence that i found most believable during the moon hoax video was when they pointed out that the shadows were pointing in different directions and not parallel. the mythbusters took this and did an awesome job. They attempted to bust this "evidence" by creating a small replica of one of the pictures where the shadows were not parallel. the IV of this experiment was the way the ground was shaped. The DV was the way the shadows faced. Constants were the same setup with objects at the same spots, and one light source. After failing the first time the mythbusters used more sand to direct the light off the sand and the rocks at the same time making the illusion that there were 2 light sources.

I found the experiment with the shadows quite interesting to watch and kind of made me want to try it on my own drunken

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:43 pm

serenasomerville wrote:in my opinion i believe that it is important to do our research on a issue before taking a stance because what humans see is not always the truth. it just looks like the truth from our point of view.it seems to be so easy to believe what we see because we are so use to believing what the eyes can see, but the mind can not. just because you see something does not make it true. only believing what we can see may cause dangers that you may not think of on the spot. spreading false information may stir up issues that may not ever be resolved. the more that humans believe makes a lie sound like the truth. after watching myth busters i have come to the conclusion that we have landed on the moon and that the people who came up with the conspiracy theory had nothing else better to do than stir up necessary issues, they are only digging their selves a hole that eventually they won't be able to get out of.

That's America for you...ALWAYS! You can say that the sky is blue and there will ALWAYS be someone to try and prove you wrong until they see for themselves. Neutral

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax - Page 2 Empty Both Sides

Post  Nic Stewart13 Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:51 pm

It's hard to decide which side to believe on the "landing on the moon" conspiracy. Both sides have what seem to be logical explanations, but then again there are a number of possibilities as what can be a lie or the actual truth. The Mythbusters proved that the shadows weren't parallel to each other because of the geographical nature of the Moon, but conspiracy believers think the shadow differentials were cause by different light sources. I feel until I myself go onto the Moon that either side could be correct on their own beliefs

Nic Stewart13

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax - Page 2 Empty Why we need a better look....

Post  Hayz.Adkison Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:56 pm

I think that it is very important that we take a look at both sides of a situation before we decide to take sides. Everybody thinks about things differently and have their own input on things. Therefore we all think and different and its up to our own opinion and experience to decide who we side with and who we don't decide with. Everybody will have different evidence to back up their opinions because everybody has different technology to do different test. It is easy for us to believe what we see because it is information being fed to us with scientific evidence. We never take a deeper look to the info we are given because of where we go it from. If you take sides before you did research to see whats true and whats not, then you could be taking sides and led into lies and false information. After watching the Myth Brothers' video I am not sure what to think. This is because with what the Myth Brothers' did, to me, just proves that they were able to do everything on Earth just as well as it is on the moon. Both videos have completely changed my views and really have me thinking hard about whether we landed on the moon.

Hayz.Adkison

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax - Page 2 Empty Think for your self!

Post  megan Gates Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:36 am

Its funny how every reason the conspiracy theoryist gave: explaining why the moon landing is a "hoax", the myth busters proved that their reasonig is invalid. This just goes to show that you cant believe every thing people tell you even if they have what seems like logical evidence. For example when the conspiracy theoryist stated how the flag was moving and then brought to our attention that thier is no wind in outer space. This is how they minipulate us by catering to what seems logical to us. So that is why it is important for us to do our "homework" and find both sides of the story so we are able to make our own oppions; instead of, relying on other peoples logic to determine what we think.

megan Gates

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - MythBusters Bust the Moon Hoax - Page 2 Empty myth bustin

Post  chrisprincivalli Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:20 pm

I think its important to look at both sides to an argument. Why? because you will seem stupid if you dont know both sides to a problem or a situation. A good example of this is when people argue politics. Also if you dont do your homework on both sides then you cant really deciede for yourself on whats true or not. Its really easy to believe things we see because the information is most present and we dont think about the other side of a situation. When i watched the conspiracy video saying we didnt land on the moon i was very set but now i just dont know! A danger of not doing enough research is that you might be completely wrong on a topic and make a fool of yourself in a discussion. At this moment i have no clue or really don't care for that matter. Yes it was a big achievement for man to walk on the moon but its not that impressive. curing cancer or curing aids/hiv would be a big deal. The only reason we really wanted to go to the moon was to basically prove to the world and mostly russia that we are better than you. To back up though my reasoning for not knowing is that the mythbuster took out the biggest arguements that fox's conspiracy videos made like the flag waving, and the 2 different light sources.

Last edited by chrisprincivalli on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

chrisprincivalli

Back to top Go down

Post  KristinaRider Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:07 pm

megan Gates wrote:Its funny how every reason the conspiracy theoryist gave: explaining why the moon landing is a "hoax", the myth busters proved that their reasonig is invalid. This just goes to show that you cant believe every thing people tell you even if they have what seems like logical evidence. For example when the conspiracy theoryist stated how the flag was moving and then brought to our attention that thier is no wind in outer space. This is how they minipulate us by catering to what seems logical to us. So that is why it is important for us to do our "homework" and find both sides of the story so we are able to make our own oppions; instead of, relying on other peoples logic to determine what we think.

I agree with your point of "doing our homework". If we just listen to one side of the story, then we will most likely side with them and not think about the whole story.

KristinaRider

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:42 pm

I think it is very important tht you recieve both sides of the story because if you believe the first thing you see or hear you are getting a biased opinion instead of listening to evidence and making your own judgement

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  ssaraheadess Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:27 pm

lindsay-moody wrote:so.... i thought the flag waving in a vacuum was pretty cool. and it was i strong point. the myth busters used an American flag that was made approximately the same way (constant) as the one used in NASA's moon mission and hooked it up to some poles to keep it from collapsing. They wanted to see if a flag would wave (DV) on the moon if there was no atmosphere (IV) if the pole was turned (constant) the way it was on the moon. when they tested waving the flag in the atmosphere, after turning the pole, the waving died down quickly. When the flag pole was turned in a vacuum, the waving continued, proving that the flag could flap on the moon, not from wind, but from unused momentum from turning the pole. santa

I totally agree with you. I was a bit confused as to why it would be moving, and it makes a lot of sense now after watching Mythbusters.
And nice Santa. Very Happy

ssaraheadess

Back to top Go down

Post  lindsay-moody Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:45 pm

megan Gates wrote:Its funny how every reason the conspiracy theoryist gave: explaining why the moon landing is a "hoax", the myth busters proved that their reasonig is invalid. This just goes to show that you cant believe every thing people tell you even if they have what seems like logical evidence. For example when the conspiracy theoryist stated how the flag was moving and then brought to our attention that thier is no wind in outer space. This is how they minipulate us by catering to what seems logical to us. So that is why it is important for us to do our "homework" and find both sides of the story so we are able to make our own oppions; instead of, relying on other peoples logic to determine what we think.

i think that you said that perfectly. and that if we ourselves are not experts on something, no matter what it is and someone tries to tell us about the truth of it. we have a responsibility to find out all sides to a story or else we are uneducated.

lindsay-moody

Back to top Go down

Post  lindsay-moody Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:48 pm

ScubaSteve.Smith wrote:Looking at both sides of the issue can affect the issue dramitically. One side of the story could be completely different from the other side. We believe things that we see because we are worried about the truth. If we seen it with both of our eyes, we are more likely to believe it. You cant believe everything someone says, its the "Show Me" State, so you have to show me. Thats where research falls into the equation. You cant really give a confident statement or opinion on something unless you have done your reseach. Just like you can't judge a book by its cover. In regard to the moon landing, I think we did land on the moon. Conspiracy Theory had some good strong theories. On the other hand Myth Busters, dispossed of all the theories.

i think the myth busters do a good job of showing people the truth. just sayin. elephant

lindsay-moody

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:24 pm

ScubaSteve.Smith wrote:Looking at both sides of the issue can affect the issue dramitically. One side of the story could be completely different from the other side. We believe things that we see because we are worried about the truth. If we seen it with both of our eyes, we are more likely to believe it. You cant believe everything someone says, its the "Show Me" State, so you have to show me. Thats where research falls into the equation. You cant really give a confident statement or opinion on something unless you have done your reseach. Just like you can't judge a book by its cover. In regard to the moon landing, I think we did land on the moon. Conspiracy Theory had some good strong theories. On the other hand Myth Busters, dispossed of all the theories.

i agree looking at one set of evidence is not a reliable source. it's like getting one side of the story. You receive a biased opinion instead of a reliable amount of evidence to persuade you a certain way.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:28 pm

DanManzella wrote:Of course to every argument there's two sides of the story, But this side of the argument just so happens is being told by special effect artist. the same kind of special effect artist that would have faked our moon landing in the first place. Everything myth busters replicated was done on earth, just like it was when NASA supposedly did it on the moon. Any one can force feed answers down your throat but very few see past the lies and continue to think for themselves. some evidence myth busters supposedly "busted" was showing that nonparallel shadows could be on the moon even with one light source still. myth busters made a little replica of the picture where the shadows were nonparallel. The IV was the craters and imperfections in their "moon" surface. The DV was what direction the shadow was faced. Two controls are same direction of light source and same amount of light source.for the procedure first they got a big enough light source that could b the sun. secondly they mixed spandex, Portland cement, and bone black or black powder. then they took their first picture with the surface being flat and compared it to their original shot. next they gave their replica some "realistic" imperfections until the shadows just so happened to match up like NASA's stage photos. the conclusion that they were able to draw from their experiment was the myth is busted because its possible for other reasons then more then one light source for nonparallel shadows.
i agree but i also believe there is more evidence out there and more than just the few stories we are hearing that's why its always good to hear all the stories and come up with your own conclusion

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  Azia Aldridge Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:53 pm

BriannaMoore wrote:It is always important to look at both sides in whatever project or issue you approach because you do not want to seem bias. Of course its easy to believe whatever we see or believe because that is just what humans are use to doing. Especially in America, people feel as though what is the point in doing extra research when it has already been done. The danger in not doing research to ensure the validity of a source results in more ignorance than what there already was. After seeing the video I do believe that we landed on the moon now that I have seen for myself more research that has been put into the whole situation.

Yea, i agreed with you, but then again the myths busters werent really on the moon either, so somethings may not be exactly the same as on the moon because they are still were on Earth where there is gravity.

Azia Aldridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Azia Aldridge Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:59 pm

lindsay-moody wrote:

i think that you said that perfectly. and that if we ourselves are not experts on something, no matter what it is and someone tries to tell us about the truth of it. we have a responsibility to find out all sides to a story or else we are uneducated.

i think you are right, because at first i didnt believe that we landed on the moon, but when i saw that video, i thought different. After reading your statement you make me want to find out if we really landed on the moon for myself, and to stop listening to everyone else.

Azia Aldridge

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisprincivalli Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Azia Aldridge wrote:I think they pointed out a lot of good points. Like the flag moving, at first i saw where they were going with it. But as soon as they tried it out, it did the same thing that the people that went to the moon said it did. The boot was a great idea too. They sat up everything just like it, and tried it out and it worked. So now i am really on the edge about if we did or didn't land on the moon. :-/
i totally agree with you i have no idea what to believe i guess the only way to know is if we go up there and find out on our own

chrisprincivalli

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisprincivalli Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:28 pm

i Never thought about how you stated the logic behind us believeing in the flag waving. It just proves how gulable us humans really are

chrisprincivalli

Back to top Go down

Post  megan Gates Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:09 pm

Hayz.Adkison wrote:I think that it is very important that we take a look at both sides of a situation before we decide to take sides. Everybody thinks about things differently and have their own input on things. Therefore we all think and different and its up to our own opinion and experience to decide who we side with and who we don't decide with. Everybody will have different evidence to back up their opinions because everybody has different technology to do different test. It is easy for us to believe what we see because it is information being fed to us with scientific evidence. We never take a deeper look to the info we are given because of where we go it from. If you take sides before you did research to see whats true and whats not, then you could be taking sides and led into lies and false information. After watching the Myth Brothers' video I am not sure what to think. This is because with what the Myth Brothers' did, to me, just proves that they were able to do everything on Earth just as well as it is on the moon. Both videos have completely changed my views and really have me thinking hard about whether we landed on the moon.
I think that you said that perfectly I couldn't have worded it better myself. I like how you said "Everybody thinks about things differently ang have thier own input on things." This just goes to show that we cannot just look at one side of any story, because we only get one persons oppinion

megan Gates

Back to top Go down

Post  megan Gates Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:19 pm

serenasomerville wrote:in my opinon i believe that it is important to do our research on a issue before taking a stance because what humans see is not always the truth. it just looks like the truth from our poin of view.it seems to be so easy to believe what we see because we are so use to believeing what the eyes can see, but the mind can not. just because you see something does not make it true. only beliving what we can see may cause dangers that you may not think of on the spot. spreading false information may stur up issues that may not ever be resolved. the more that humans believe makes a lie sound like the truth. after watching myth busters i have come to the conclusion that we have landed on the moon and that the people who came up with the conspercy theory had nothing else better to do than stur up unecessary issues, they are only digging theirselves a hole that eventually they won't be able to get out of.
I really like how you pointed out "what humans can see is not always the truth ". I think that is the biggest reason why we have so much contraversy about this subject because both the conspiracy theoryist and the myth busters try to pursuade us based on what we can see. I believe they do this because that is the number 1 source we believe the most: what our eyes can tell us.

megan Gates

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2