H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour - Careers in Biology

+4
Kara Gordon
danirivera
JessLockette
Admin
8 posters

Go down

3rd Hour - Careers in Biology Empty 3rd Hour - Careers in Biology

Post  Admin Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Visit Emporia State University's website at http://www.emporia.edu/biosci/carebiol.htm to investigate careers in biology. Select two to investigate and briefly describe what you learned about each. IF THE LINKS NO LONGER WORK, GOOGLE THE CAREERS YOU ARE CURIOUS ABOUT. Make sure to include the following in your post:

1. Name of career
2. Number of years of education required
3. Projected salary
4. Reasoning/motivation for invesitgating this career

Make sure to respond to at least two of your classmates' posts in order to receive full credit for this discussion board.

Initial Post Due: Thursday, November 10 at 11:59 pm
Response Posts Due: Sunday, November 13 at 11:59 pm

Admin
Admin

https://ahancock.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Careers in Biology Empty Re: 3rd Hour - Careers in Biology

Post  JessLockette Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Physiolgy is where you study life, genes, cells, tissues, and how organisms function.
1. Career of Physiology
2. Need a Ph.D.
3. $45,127 (average)
4. We are learning about cells and how organisms function.

A Zoo keeper takes care of animals.
1. Zoo Keeper
2. Biology, Zoology, or animal related degree
3. $27000 (average)
4. It would be cool to be with animals all day.

JessLockette

Back to top Go down

Post  danirivera Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:32 pm

reply to: jessica! I couldn't work with zoo animals. Call me girly and prissy, but in all hinesty they smell and a bit scary. But hey! if you like that stuff, go for it (:

danirivera

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Careers in Biology Empty Biological careers!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  Kara Gordon Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:37 pm

Biological scientisits study life processes of the body and later go on to majoring in a certain area like zoology or the medical field. Most biological scientists require a Ph.D. which takes 5-6 of schooling. When they work the median wage is 68,220 per year. This field holds interest to me because I am interested in the medical field.

Peditricians are doctors who specialize in the care of children. They need a Ph.D. which takes 11 years after highschool. Then the median income is $155,370 per year. I am interested in this field because I get to help take care of little kids...I am not sure I want to take 11 years of college to do it though.

Last edited by Kara Gordon on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Careers in Biology Empty future happiness

Post  cam*stric Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:41 pm

-landscape architect
-4^5 years of education at the most
-the annual salary is between $45,840-$77,610
-well i'm already interested in architecture and i think the edition of landscape and a focus on the environment would only make me feel happier about getting up to go to work every morning. besides, landscape architecture doesn't sound too complicated or foreign to me.... Razz

cam*stric

Back to top Go down

Post  cam*stric Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:48 pm

Kara Gordon wrote: When they work the median wage is 68,220 per year. This field holds interest to me because I am interested in the medical field.

This is the primary reason i think you should go for it Kara. Especially if it makes u happy and motivates you to be inspired and creative in what u do everyday because u care about what u do!! It isn't just another job, right? Hey if it comes to it, I hope your still the same Kara u are today so u can b my doctor on 'that' day....anyway go 4 wut u know and make a difference Rolling Eyes

cheers study

cam*stric

Back to top Go down

Post  Kara Gordon Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:54 pm

cam*stric wrote:-landscape architect
-well i'm already interested in architecture and i think the edition of landscape and a focus on the environment would only make me feel happier about getting up to go to work every morning. besides, landscape architecture doesn't sound too complicated or foreign to me.... Razz
I could so totally see you doing this Carmeron. You are always drawing and sometimes I get to see the finished product. I can only imagine what you could do in real life besides on just paper. I think you have the creativeness and the smarts to do this job.

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

Post  Kara Gordon Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:57 pm

JessLockette wrote:
1. Zoo Keeper
3. $27000 (average)
I think that is cool Jessica. I think that would be a great job for someone who has a heart for animals. If that is what you want to do, then you should do it. It is really important to have a job that you enjoy doing. Very Happy

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Careers in Biology Empty Dung Shovel or Microscope?

Post  cam*stric Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:03 pm

JessLockette wrote: Physiolgy is where you study life, genes, cells, tissues, and how organisms function.
1. Career of Physiology
2. Need a Ph.D.
3. $45,127 (average)
4. We are learning about cells and how organisms function.

1. Zoo Keeper
3. $27000 (average)

-Both of these jobs have a challenging approach to me; animals and their funk, the amount of education required to become a physiologist. Whatever you choose, I just hope its worth it and that you really enjoy yourself because i would like to think you would be happy. study What a Face

cam*stric

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Careers in Biology Empty : D

Post  cam*stric Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:06 pm

Kara Gordon wrote:
Razz
I could so totally see you doing this Carmeron. You are always drawing and sometimes I get to see the finished product. I can only imagine what you could do in real life besides on just paper. I think you have the creativeness and the smarts to do this job.

Thanx Kara!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surprised sunny

cam*stric

Back to top Go down

Post  danirivera Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:52 am

1. forensics science
2. bacholers degree
3. 20,000-40,000(depending on work hours, and job)
4. I love solving puzzles and like riddles. Shows like csi and law and order have always interest me! my science and logic could be the reason behind justice
!
1. physiology
2. masters
3. 30,000-50,000
4. I want to find new cures! and I think it would be cool to study life!

danirivera

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Careers in Biology Empty Forensic Scientist/ Pharmacist

Post  ROBBYECANADA Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:40 am

1. Name of career: Forensic Scientist
2. Number of years of education required: A Bachelor's Degree(minimal)
3. Projected salary: Depends
4. Reasoning/motivation for invesitgating this career: I am very interesting in using science to solve cases to help people; I could be the person to prove something important to put a guiltly man in prison.

1. Name of career: Pharmacy
2. Number of years of education required: Pharm.D. Degree from acredited college or pharmacy school(4 years)
3. Projected salary:$106,410 (Median average)
4. Reasoning/motivation for invesitgating this career: Pharmacy seems like a simple career that'll allow for a decent living with the amount of money you recieve.

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

Post  ROBBYECANADA Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:19 pm

[quote="Kara Gordon"]quote]
Being a peditrician does seems like a really good career to have. I think that 11 years in college is alot, but just compare that to how long you'll have enjoying your career choice for the rest of your life.

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

Post  ROBBYECANADA Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:24 pm

danirivera wrote:
I want to be a forensic scientist too! I think the career will be so interesting everyday, just like all the law shows (well kind of). I also want to use the career to help people through facts.

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Careers in Biology Empty Careers

Post  gater.kiana Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:54 pm

1. Oceanography-deals with the oceans and includes the delimitation of their extent and depth, the physics and chemistry of their waters, marine biology, and the exploitation of their resources
2. 5 years
3. $40,000 - $94,986
4. This Career sounds cool. I think learning and discovering about the ocean would be interesting and fun.

1.Forensic Scientists- relating to or dealing with the application of scientific knowledge to legal problems
2.7-8 years
3.$45,000
4.I like busy and intense environments. I think it would make me feel accomplished helping to solve a case.

gater.kiana

Back to top Go down

Post  gater.kiana Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:55 pm

ROBBYECANADA wrote:1. Name of career: Forensic Scientist
2. Number of years of education required: A Bachelor's Degree(minimal)
3. Projected salary: Depends
4. Reasoning/motivation for invesitgating this career: I am very interesting in using science to solve cases to help people; I could be the person to prove something important to put a guiltly man in prison.

1. Name of career: Pharmacy
2. Number of years of education required: Pharm.D. Degree from acredited college or pharmacy school(4 years)
3. Projected salary:$106,410 (Median average)
4. Reasoning/motivation for invesitgating this career: Pharmacy seems like a simple career that'll allow for a decent living with the amount of money you recieve.

I like your first choice. I never considered the second one, but they make a nice amount !

gater.kiana

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Careers in Biology Empty Response 2

Post  gater.kiana Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:58 pm

Well thats not the assignment, but omgosh !!!!!!!! i want to be an architect to! but more in building design. I'm going to minor in interior design so i can build and design ! this is amazing! usually i dont meet people who have the same interests i do!

gater.kiana

Back to top Go down

Post  JessLockette Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:49 pm

Kara Gordon wrote:Biological scientisits study life processes of the body and later go on to majoring in a certain area like zoology or the medical field. Most biological scientists require a Ph.D. which takes 5-6 of schooling. When they work the median wage is 68,220 per year. This field holds interest to me because I am interested in the medical field.

Peditricians are doctors who specialize in the care of children. They need a Ph.D. which takes 11 years after highschool. Then the median income is $155,370 per year. I am interested in this field because I get to help take care of little kids...I am not sure I want to take 11 years of college to do it though.
A pediatrician seems like it would be fun. You go and work with kids basically, but 11 years after highschool, that iis too long.

JessLockette

Back to top Go down

Post  adamobrock Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Career 1- Zookeeper
Zookeepers tend for animals in zoological parks and aquariams
1. Zookeeper
2. 2-4 years for a Wildlife Management degree
3. approx. $14/hour
4. I chose this career because I love working with animals, most kinds at leat (insects bother me)

Career 2-Food Scientist
Food Scientists use their knowledge of chemistry, physics, microbiology, nd other sciences t improve food products.
1. Food Scientist
2. Bachelor's degree in food science (recommended high school courses are chemistry, biology, and physics)
3. Avg. Salary of $75,000/year
4. I chose this job because I like working with chemicals and trying to better things for people.

adamobrock

Back to top Go down

Post  adamobrock Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:42 pm

[quote="Kara Gordon"] I think 11 years is a tad excessive but when considering that yo must take care of children, you can never be too prepared.

adamobrock

Back to top Go down

Post  adamobrock Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:44 pm

[quote="cam*stric"] I think building 20-story buildings would be far more interesting and worthwhile when considering architecture

adamobrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down