H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - Paranormal & Science

+10
chrisprincivalli
Chopper789
megan Gates
maryamnewman
kurt.ragan
ssaraheadess
BriannaMoore
DanManzella
Ben Johnson
Admin
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

5th Hour - Paranormal & Science Empty 5th Hour - Paranormal & Science

Post  Admin Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:38 pm

Visit the Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena's (ASSAP) website at http://www.assap.org/index.html . Feel free to browse the site, but be sure to check out information about orbs http://www.assap.org/newsite/htmlfiles/Orbs%20centre.html and cold spots http://www.assap.org/newsite/htmlfiles/Cold%20spots.html . Also check out why the ASSAP believes it is important to use science in explaining the paranormal http://www.assap.org/newsite/htmlfiles/Scientific%20study.html .

After visiting the website, reflect on the website and select one of the following questions to answer. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. Compare your belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before and after visiting this website. What, if anything changed? Why? How did science play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity?

2. 40% of all science teachers believe in the paranormal. Does this statistic surprise you? Is this inconsistent with their field of study? Support your stance of why science can/cannot interwine to explain the paranormal.

Initial Posting: Due Thursday, October 13 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Sunday, October 16 at 11:59 pm.

Admin
Admin

https://ahancock.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Paranormal & Science Empty It's Paranormal

Post  Ben Johnson Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Before i visited the website, i believed in the paranormal, and i still do. The only thing that has really changed is now my belief has worsened because now they say they can prove paranormal activity with science. At first my belief in the paranormal was in a more biblical sense but now its both biblical and scientific and as research goes on, i am waiting until scientists can accually prove paranormal activity before i have a real understanding of it.

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Paranormal & Science Empty Re: 5th Hour - Paranormal & Science

Post  DanManzella Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:57 pm

in my perspective this site is boring and doesnt have anything that catches my eye. the link to the photos led me to photos that made me like this website even less. i myself do believe in ghost and find them intriguing, but looking at this scientific side of it, just puts me to sleep, leading me to be even more displeased with the site. when i think of ghost i dont picture little orbs. if ghost are orbs i could careless if they are real or not, i mean really? how exciting is an orb? its even less entertaining then this website. people have an excuses to disprove the cold spots just like everything else in the world. all of their proof for ghost are just gonna be criticized by bitter people that have nothing better to do, then put their 2 cents into everything, brainwashing the many, who cant think for themselves. Why do people always want an explanation for everything?, let people think for themselves and mind your own business. To me this isnt about weather ghost are real or not, this is just another distraction from life, just like everything else in the world, but excuse me for rambling on. back on topic to what the assignment is about, Nothing really changed on how i feel about ghost, if anything looking at it from a science point of view would make me believe in it less. the scientific outlook just led my mind to wonder off about other things, as you could tell.

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:57 pm

My belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before I visited the site was always unsure. I enjoy watching televisions shows such as Ghost Adventures, Paranormal State ect. because just the thrill of knowing that any thing can happen before and after investigation is quite exciting. But what makes me so unsure is that when investigators listen to the transmitters trying to figure what certain sounds could mean it just looks really stupid. Rolling Eyes After visiting this website I still feel the same about the paranormal, and the main reason being that this website doesn't look appealing nor does it strike an interest to keep browsing. I can honestly say that science did not play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity.

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:59 pm

DanManzella wrote:in my perspective this site is boring and doesnt have anything that catches my eye. the link to the photos led me to photos that made me like this website even less. i myself do believe in ghost and find them intriguing, but looking at this scientific side of it, just puts me to sleep, leading me to be even more displeased with the site. when i think of ghost i dont picture little orbs. if ghost are orbs i could careless if they are real or not, i mean really? how exciting is an orb? its even less entertaining then this website. people have an excuses to disprove the cold spots just like everything else in the world. all of their proof for ghost are just gonna be criticized by bitter people that have nothing better to do, then put their 2 cents into everything, brainwashing the many, who cant think for themselves. Why do people always want an explanation for everything?, let people think for themselves and mind your own business. To me this isnt about weather ghost are real or not, this is just another distraction from life, just like everything else in the world, but excuse me for rambling on. back on topic to what the assignment is about, Nothing really changed on how i feel about ghost, if anything looking at it from a science point of view would make me believe in it less. the scientific outlook just led my mind to wonder off about other things, as you could tell.

I agree the makers of this website could do a completely better job with the appeal. And the orbs look like glares in the camera...lol

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Ben Johnson wrote:Before i visited the website, i believed in the paranormal, and i still do. The only thing that has really changed is now my belief has worsened because now they say they can prove paranormal activity with science. At first my belief in the paranormal was in a more biblical sense but now its both biblical and scientific and as research goes on, i am waiting until scientists can actually prove paranormal activity before i have a real understanding of it.

I never thought to view the paranormal in a biblical sense...I just thought it was slightly odd

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

Post  ssaraheadess Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:49 pm

I've been interested in the paranormal since I was probably ten, not in a creepy schizophrenic way, but in the possibility that there are spirits trapped on the world. I don't believe that spirits 'haunt' people, nothing like what happens in Paranormal Activity. I do believe that they can be trapped in an area because they died in an unnatural way, so they weren't ready to pass to an afterlife, and they stay there until peace is made.
Science didn't really change my stance on the paranormal. I guess since I've associated my belief in paranormal with my religious views my whole life, I can't change. Science may be able to prove paranormal activity exists, but same with other scientific theory, everyone's going to have their own opinion about it.
I choose to think it exists, someone else may beg to differ.

ssaraheadess

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Paranormal & Science Empty GHOST!!!!bef

Post  kurt.ragan Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:34 pm

before i looked on the websites i did believe in ghost, and paranormal activity. And i still do after looking at the websites, because it puts even more evidence that it is true with the new technology that is becoming availible to researchers. This new equipment and things that are starting to be used by researchers played a big role in my stance because it makes more and more evidence that ghost and paranormal activity are real.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

Post  maryamnewman Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Before visiting the website I've never belived in the paranormal. I still do not. I believe that it is a waste of study and effort to try to figure out what may only be cause by defectivities of the scientific tools used at the time.

maryamnewman

Back to top Go down

Post  maryamnewman Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:39 pm

Ben Johnson wrote:Before i visited the website, i believed in the paranormal, and i still do. The only thing that has really changed is now my belief has worsened because now they say they can prove paranormal activity with science. At first my belief in the paranormal was in a more biblical sense but now its both biblical and scientific and as research goes on, i am waiting until scientists can accually prove paranormal activity before i have a real understanding of it.
I belive that scientists will try to use "proof" to convince people of anything. There are things that i do belive but this is not one of them. id have to disagree with you on this one. It doesnt even make sense

maryamnewman

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Paranormal & Science Empty Paranormal?

Post  megan Gates Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:21 pm

I never did believe in the paranormal. I've always felt like thier was a logical explenation for everything, but after reading the article about it I look at things in a new light. The article says "the paranormal may be exotic science or just the 'normal" in an unfamiliar guise." This leads me to believe that maybe thier is no such thing as the paranormal that maybe some "strange" things are normal and peoples minds are'nt advanced enough to comprehend wats going on.

megan Gates

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Paranormal & Science Empty Nothing of interest.

Post  Chopper789 Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:16 pm

Are you serious? The freakin' UFO footage were even proven to be things such as birds and light sources off in the distance. They have to do better than that to hold my interest.

Chopper789

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper789 Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:20 pm

DanManzella wrote:in my perspective this site is boring and doesnt have anything that catches my eye. the link to the photos led me to photos that made me like this website even less. i myself do believe in ghost and find them intriguing, but looking at this scientific side of it, just puts me to sleep, leading me to be even more displeased with the site. when i think of ghost i dont picture little orbs. if ghost are orbs i could careless if they are real or not, i mean really? how exciting is an orb? its even less entertaining then this website. people have an excuses to disprove the cold spots just like everything else in the world. all of their proof for ghost are just gonna be criticized by bitter people that have nothing better to do, then put their 2 cents into everything, brainwashing the many, who cant think for themselves. Why do people always want an explanation for everything?, let people think for themselves and mind your own business. To me this isnt about weather ghost are real or not, this is just another distraction from life, just like everything else in the world, but excuse me for rambling on. back on topic to what the assignment is about, Nothing really changed on how i feel about ghost, if anything looking at it from a science point of view would make me believe in it less. the scientific outlook just led my mind to wonder off about other things, as you could tell.

I couldn't agree more with Dan. The site is not even credible enough to be called a paranormal website.

Chopper789

Back to top Go down

Post  ssaraheadess Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:11 pm

megan Gates wrote:I never did believe in the paranormal. I've always felt like thier was a logical explenation for everything, but after reading the article about it I look at things in a new light. The article says "the paranormal may be exotic science or just the 'normal" in an unfamiliar guise." This leads me to believe that maybe thier is no such thing as the paranormal that maybe some "strange" things are normal and peoples minds are'nt advanced enough to comprehend wats going on.

That was a really nice response. This reminds of the Upanishads' beliefs. Maybe since the paranormal is strange to us, we can't perceive them as normal things in daily life.

ssaraheadess

Back to top Go down

Post  ssaraheadess Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:16 pm

BriannaMoore wrote:My belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before I visited the site was always unsure. I enjoy watching televisions shows such as Ghost Adventures, Paranormal State ect. because just the thrill of knowing that any thing can happen before and after investigation is quite exciting. But what makes me so unsure is that when investigators listen to the transmitters trying to figure what certain sounds could mean it just looks really stupid. Rolling Eyes After visiting this website I still feel the same about the paranormal, and the main reason being that this website doesn't look appealing nor does it strike an interest to keep browsing. I can honestly say that science did not play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity.

I feel the same way about the website. It didn't appeal to me at all. But I understand what you mean about the transmitters. Someone may hear something, and someone else may hear something completely different. And everyone's gonna have a different interpretation of what the sounds mean, whether they're 'voices' or floor creaks.

ssaraheadess

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Johnson Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:19 pm

BriannaMoore wrote:
Ben Johnson wrote:Before i visited the website, i believed in the paranormal, and i still do. The only thing that has really changed is now my belief has worsened because now they say they can prove paranormal activity with science. At first my belief in the paranormal was in a more biblical sense but now its both biblical and scientific and as research goes on, i am waiting until scientists can actually prove paranormal activity before i have a real understanding of it.

I never thought to view the paranormal in a biblical sense...I just thought it was slightly odd

Yea thinking of it biblically is different but thats how ive always seen it

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Johnson Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:20 pm

kurt.ragan wrote:before i looked on the websites i did believe in ghost, and paranormal activity. And i still do after looking at the websites, because it puts even more evidence that it is true with the new technology that is becoming availible to researchers. This new equipment and things that are starting to be used by researchers played a big role in my stance because it makes more and more evidence that ghost and paranormal activity are real.

I agree that with all of this new technology it is becoming more believable

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Paranormal & Science Empty scary monsters and noce sprites

Post  chrisprincivalli Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:04 pm

i have always believed in ufos and aliens but never really ghosts at least not yet. I believe that alot of the website is a bunch of hoop bla. If ghosts were real then it would be un earthly just like god or religion its more like a faith thing. you cant take a scientific approach to the un approchablle. Also science can prove and disspove alot but it hasnt or cant dissprove God yet so how can it prove or disprove ghosts.

chrisprincivalli

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisprincivalli Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:08 pm

Ben Johnson wrote:
kurt.ragan wrote:before i looked on the websites i did believe in ghost, and paranormal activity. And i still do after looking at the websites, because it puts even more evidence that it is true with the new technology that is becoming availible to researchers. This new equipment and things that are starting to be used by researchers played a big role in my stance because it makes more and more evidence that ghost and paranormal activity are real.

I agree that with all of this new technology it is becoming more believable
All it shows is that theres technology out there and it tells you a few theorys i dont see how this club has help prove there are ghosts

chrisprincivalli

Back to top Go down

Post  chrisprincivalli Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:11 pm

I totally agree with you this cite did nothing for me . And who cares if there real anyway. This is like trying to dissprove a religion.

chrisprincivalli

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Paranormal & Science Empty is this forreal?

Post  BrittanyE Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:33 pm

Before I watched the video i believed in some paranormal things and afterwards i thought the same thing some things are just more believable than others.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:35 pm

chrisprincivalli wrote:
I totally agree with you this cite did nothing for me . And who cares if there real anyway. This is like trying to dissprove a religion.
my perspective about these inquiries did not change from before to after. I feel that some things are more believable than others.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:36 pm

BriannaMoore wrote:My belief in the paranormal (ghosts, ESP, UFO's) before I visited the site was always unsure. I enjoy watching televisions shows such as Ghost Adventures, Paranormal State ect. because just the thrill of knowing that any thing can happen before and after investigation is quite exciting. But what makes me so unsure is that when investigators listen to the transmitters trying to figure what certain sounds could mean it just looks really stupid. Rolling Eyes After visiting this website I still feel the same about the paranormal, and the main reason being that this website doesn't look appealing nor does it strike an interest to keep browsing. I can honestly say that science did not play a role in your current stance on paranormal activity.
my perspective about these inquiries did not change from before to after. I feel that some things are more believable than others.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Paranormal & Science Empty Yes i BELIEVE!!

Post  Hayz.Adkison Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:41 pm

I always have believed in ghost but never paid much attention in the science version. I never though t science would have anything to do wit it i though tit was all just what your mind allowed your senses to do and pick. I still do believe in the paranormal and i don't think that will ever change. I think the topic is very interesting and the websites were very cool to me. I don't really think all the pictures are exactly what orbs and everything look like though. I think these pictures were over exaggerated to get their point across.

Hayz.Adkison

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayz.Adkison Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Ben Johnson wrote:Before i visited the website, i believed in the paranormal, and i still do. The only thing that has really changed is now my belief has worsened because now they say they can prove paranormal activity with science. At first my belief in the paranormal was in a more biblical sense but now its both biblical and scientific and as research goes on, i am waiting until scientists can accually prove paranormal activity before i have a real understanding of it.

Hey i believe too and thats exactly ow i looked at it. I think to figure out how scientist will play a role in it will be very interesting to find out i cant wait either. My thoughts on this topic will never change i always have and always will believe.

Hayz.Adkison

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next