H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - Humans Threaten Galapagos Islands

+12
maryamnewman
kurt.ragan
lindsay-moody
arielaskew
KristinaRider
chrisprincivalli
BriannaMoore
ssaraheadess
DanManzella
Azia Aldridge
Ben Johnson
Admin
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

5th Hour - Humans Threaten Galapagos Islands - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour - Humans Threaten Galapagos Islands

Post  maryamnewman Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:36 pm

.I belive that protecting endangered & threatened species is most important in this case. It should not even be of question to risk the extinction of multiple species for peoples' curiosity and entertainment. Doing so may have bigger and more dramatic effects than poeple may think. Disturbing a habitat in such way might didsplace an entire ecosystem because each and every species contributes to its ecosystem. They depend on other species and other species depend on them, creating a cycle. And ultimately, they play a large role in the lives of humans.

maryamnewman

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Humans Threaten Galapagos Islands - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour - Humans Threaten Galapagos Islands

Post  JennyHuynh123 Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:56 pm

i believe that protecting the life on Galapagos Island is more important than studying the species there. i believe that life is more important than studying, if its not something that we truly need, then we shouldn't just go there, pollute their land and just to get information that we dont need. the organisms were there first, we need to respect that and do whats best for them.

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:57 pm

lindsay-moody wrote:It is obviously far more important to protect an endangered species than it is to see one or learn about one in its presence. If people weren't so selfish or didn't have such skewed ideas of what is truly important, it would be blatently obvious what the right thing is. Humans aren't the only animals in the world.

I totally agree with you, humans aren't the only animals on this world, we need to respect other animals.

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

Post  JennyHuynh123 Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:59 pm

DanManzella wrote:i don't like the whole idea of evolution or this being proof of it. its sad that the oil affected 60% of the iguannas. it's a good thing they are starting to try and help the animals by going green tho.

in my opinion A. protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands is more important because the life of something is far more important then if someone gets to see an animal. there is no reason that outweighs the life of something. humans have done enough damage and we dont need to stick our nose in places they dont belong just to learn about something that we are killing by doing so.

I'm glad they did start to change after the iguanas because it could've been more serious. I agree with you that we shouldn't butt in places when we have a negative effect on them.

JennyHuynh123

Back to top Go down

Post  kurt.ragan Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:17 pm

KristinaRider wrote:I think that protecting endangerd and threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit and learn about the wild life in the Galapagos Islands is important. Even though we dont come in contact with the animals here, they still impact Earth. I also think that the people that live on the islands now should be more cautious about their actions. I like the fact that people are trying to encourage new fuel efficent boats and cars. Smile
I think what you said is important. The organisms there impact us and that if we are not going to totally isolate them there that the people that live there need to be more cautious to not pollute the environment.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

Post  cassandra caroenter Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:33 pm

I agree with you completely ben if we protect the animals then we could soon be able to learn about them on the island . Saving the animals helps save us.

cassandra caroenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Johnson Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:01 pm

DanManzella wrote:i don't like the whole idea of evolution or this being proof of it. its sad that the oil affected 60% of the iguannas. it's a good thing they are starting to try and help the animals by going green tho.

in my opinion A. protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands is more important because the life of something is far more important then if someone gets to see an animal. there is no reason that outweighs the life of something. humans have done enough damage and we dont need to stick our nose in places they dont belong just to learn about something that we are killing by doing so.
i totally agree with you saying life is more important than someone getting to see an animal, makes alot of sense

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Johnson Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:02 pm

KristinaRider wrote:I think that protecting endangerd and threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit and learn about the wild life in the Galapagos Islands is important. Even though we dont come in contact with the animals here, they still impact Earth. I also think that the people that live on the islands now should be more cautious about their actions. I like the fact that people are trying to encourage new fuel efficent boats and cars. Smile
I agree with life on the islands is more important, and also the idea that people are becoming green, it should help atleast a little

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Humans Threaten Galapagos Islands - Page 2 Empty .edu

Post  Cheli Foster Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:07 pm

Biodiversity is the existence of a wide variety of plant and animal species in their natural environments, which is the aim of conservationists concerned about the indiscriminate destruction of rainforests and other habitats. (Dictionary.com) Which basiclly means that there needs to be a wide range within the number and types of species within an enviornment. Biodiversity is important to our world because it keeps in tact the natural world order and espeially the food chains.Humans action on the Galpagos Islands threatens the world biodiversity by killing of species of animals which will lead to less biodiversity within the world. JUST SHORT of banning humans from the Galapagos Islands we can support the international organizations set in place to protect the biodiversity of the islands, we also can encourage educational trips to the islands as to learn the direct impact of humans on nature and how changing our actions can easily help stop it. I think we should continue to support and create these types of things.

Cheli Foster

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Humans Threaten Galapagos Islands - Page 2 Empty Money MONEY MONAY!

Post  Cheli Foster Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:10 pm

Kristina you rock! We do not have to see things impact them or the Earth. The people definantly do need to be more cautious of theirs actions. But do you feel in any way there could be resistance from some residents ? The massive amounts of tourists brings in a hefty amount of revenue and is vital to some people there. Do you think these organizations have the power, structure, or even drive to do it?

Cheli Foster

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Humans Threaten Galapagos Islands - Page 2 Empty Lion King

Post  Cheli Foster Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:12 pm

BriannaMoore wrote:Protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands of course is the most important thing to focus on! If you want to learn more about animals its called research via internet or book. I understand that it could be more helpful if you could see these species up close and personal in their own habitats. But you also have to think what if these species goes instinct throws off an ecosystem that could some how affect us?

In the circle of life! We will all be affected! Good point Brianna. Use your reources to learn new ways to love these animals.

Cheli Foster

Back to top Go down

Post  maryamnewman Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Which is exactly my point because we are ultimately responsible for the loss of species and ultimately effected as well

maryamnewman

Back to top Go down

Post  maryamnewman Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:12 pm

Ben Johnson wrote:I believe protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands is more important because, even if we cannot visit or learn about the species, if we continue what we are doing, no one will ever be able to visit them because they will be extinct. If we leave them alone, or help treat the species and help them grow, them maybe people can eventually go back to visiting the islands, but until then protect the islands.
I totally agree with you on this. The long term effects will be, in my opinion, much more hurtful towards the human population than just not being able to visit certain species

maryamnewman

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Humans Threaten Galapagos Islands - Page 2 Empty keep it up!

Post  BrittanyE Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:28 pm

I believe that protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands is very important because, even if we cannot visit or learn about the species, we should still continue what we are doing, because sooner or later no one will ever be able to visit them because they will be extinct. If we leave them alone, or help treat the species and help them grow, them maybe people can eventually go back to visiting the islands, but until then we have to protect the islands.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Cheli Foster wrote:

Kristina you rock! We do not have to see things impact them or the Earth. The people definantly do need to be more cautious of theirs actions. But do you feel in any way there could be resistance from some residents ? The massive amounts of tourists brings in a hefty amount of revenue and is vital to some people there. Do you think these organizations have the power, structure, or even drive to do it?
I believe protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands is more important because, even if we cannot visit or learn about the species, if we continue what we are doing, no one will ever be able to visit them because they will be extinct. If we leave them alone, or help treat the species and help them grow, them maybe people can eventually go back to visiting the islands, but until then protect the islands.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:30 pm

cassandra caroenter wrote:I agree with you completely ben if we protect the animals then we could soon be able to learn about them on the island . Saving the animals helps save us.
I believe protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands is more important because, even if we cannot visit or learn about the species, if we continue what we are doing, no one will ever be able to visit them because they will be extinct. If we leave them alone, or help treat the species and help them grow, them maybe people can eventually go back to visiting the islands, but until then protect the islands.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2