H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands

+11
Trey Neal
Devin McCullough
ROBBYECANADA
Kara Gordon
ChrissyMaes
JessLockette
brianadreid16
Logan Huddleston1
Erika Edmonds
camenistic strickland
Admin
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty 3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands

Post  Admin Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:25 pm

Watch National Geographic's "Humans Threatening Galapagos", located at http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/news/culture-places-news/galapagos-invasive-wcvin.html . Reflect on the video and answer ONE of the following questions. In addition to your posted reflection, respond to the postings of TWO of your classmates.

1. In your opinion, which of the following is more important:
A. protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may
not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands
B. protecting the rights of individuals to visit & learn about the wildlife on the
Galapagos Islands, even though some species may go extinct as a result
Defend your selection.

2. What is biodiversity? Why is it important to our world? How does the impact of humans on the Galapagos Islands threaten the world's biodiversity? Short of banning human visitors from the Galapagos Islands, what initiatives can we take to protect the animals on these islands?

Initial Posting: Due Thursday, October 6 at 11:59 pm
Response Postings: Due Sunday, October 9 at 11:59 pm.

Admin
Admin

https://ahancock.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty PROTECTING THE ENDANGERED AND THREATENED!!!

Post  camenistic strickland Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Duh! Why wouldn't we protect the endangered species that were on the Galapagos Islands for decades and centuries before humans. This sounds harsh but if things get out of hand the local economy will have to take a pause, because living things can't be renewed once their gone, naturally that is. Cars should be rare if not eliminated with only motorcycles and the use of commercial trucks, or maybe those mini cars that you'd find in Tokyo. Also make sure development is limited given its ecological importance. All together this is a no brainer, save the animals. If just a few of those species die and its because of humans being on the island, something is seriously wrong, and I mean it. The animals were there first and I feel we as the 'most intelligent race' need to respect that. study afro

camenistic strickland

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty Re: 3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands

Post  Erika Edmonds Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Protecting endangered and threatened species fro extinction is far more important than protecting the rights of tourists. The only people that should be allowed to visit the wildlife are the conservationists that check and make sure that those animals are okay. But if you're just going there as a tourist on a family vacation, it shouldn't be allowed because of the pollution and increased energy consumption. Animals were not put on Earth for the entertainment of people. So...instead of going to Ecuador to look at giant turtles, watch finding nemo and imagine you are there.

Erika Edmonds

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty Re: 3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands

Post  Logan Huddleston1 Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:06 pm

I feel that protecting the endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands is more important. The people can go to other places, but the animals can only live there. Also there is only a small amount of those animals that are only found on that island, you can find humans everywhere.

Logan Huddleston1

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty Common Sense....

Post  brianadreid16 Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Ofcourse we should protect the animals and their habitat on the islands!!!....I feel strongly that humans think too highly of themselves and have no regard for any other living things unless that thing is directly benefiting that person. Those animals on that island are one of a kind and deserve to be treated that way. Companies, organizations, government, and every day people need to stand up and fight for those who dont have a voice, because if they dont who will?!......#Disgusted!

brianadreid16

Back to top Go down

Post  brianadreid16 Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:21 pm

quote] Totally agree Erika, reminds me of what I was just saying, people think too highly of themselves as a species.

brianadreid16

Back to top Go down

Post  brianadreid16 Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:23 pm

camenistic strickland wrote::
AGREED!, especially on the forms of trasportation, there should be no need for big SUVs and things. We could also use that idea on the mainland.

brianadreid16

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty Save the animals.

Post  JessLockette Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:29 pm

2. What is biodiversity? Why is it important to our world? How does the impact of humans on the Galapagos Islands threaten the world's biodiversity? Short of banning human visitors from the Galapagos Islands, what initiatives can we take to protect the animals on these islands?
Biodiversity is the different species of animals in a certain area. It is important to our world because, we can study different types of species and learn new information about different animals of the world. When humans come to the Galapagos Islands, they threaten the biodiversity because, they create trash and pollute the air, just like when the oil spilled and killed the iguanas. To protet the aniimals in the Galapagos Islands we should, like the video said, use vehiles with lower fuel emissions, recycle, keep the ocean from being a dumping place for our trash.

JessLockette

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty LOL, I like....

Post  camenistic strickland Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:10 pm

[quote="Erika Edmonds"]
LOL, I like how u said it Erika. Lets imagine we're there. Really I do and I agree with you and Logan and everyone else. Humans can go everywhere and anywhere on the planet but those animals are primarily adapted to the galapagos. So yes the tourists need to go take a hike...Ecador sounds nice, right. Wink

camenistic strickland

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty MY DIME'S WORTH...

Post  camenistic strickland Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:18 pm

[quote="brianadreid16"]Ofcourse we should protect the animals and their habitat on the islands!!!....humans think too highly of themselves...

-OMG thanx 4 common sense. I agree with you in what u posted. Unless the environmental problems directly affect us(the majority), I believe it will be very hard to get the 'green grass roots' message across but maybe our 'gen' can do it. I like how Jessica answered too. What if we(environmentalists) limited the number of tourists or people elligible to go there by raising the prices or requirements to travel there to further protect the animals.I think someone else said that though. I guess we're just kids right. rabbit

camenistic strickland

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrissyMaes Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:57 pm

It is definitely more important to protect endagered and threatened species from extinction rather than protecting the rights of individuals to visit and learn about the wildlife on the islands. Humans will without a doubt be able to survive without being on or visiting the Galopogos Islands. As for some of the animals on the islands, they will not be able to survive with the humans being there because humans bring pollution and trash that harms the animals' habitat. I think it's good that they are trying to go green and create less waste, but that may not be enough to save the animals.

ChrissyMaes

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrissyMaes Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm

Erika Edmonds wrote:
Protecting endangered and threatened species fro extinction is far more important than protecting the rights of tourists. The only people that should be allowed to visit the wildlife are the conservationists that check and make sure that those animals are okay. But if you're just going there as a tourist on a family vacation, it shouldn't be allowed because of the pollution and increased energy consumption. Animals were not put on Earth for the entertainment of people. So...instead of going to Ecuador to look at giant turtles, watch finding nemo and imagine you are there.

Erika makes a great point, animals aren't here just so that humans can do whatever they want with them. Humans have to respect the lives of other living things.

ChrissyMaes

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty Conservation is better than amusement!!!!!!!!!

Post  Kara Gordon Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:33 pm

I believe that it is more important to protect the wildlife on the Galpagos Islands than to have people there to learn about them. People make documentaries all the time about the prevention of extinction of many different types of species. I think that people can learn about the wildlife at the same time learning about without harming the wildlife. I believe that if we can prevent it that we should in this case. Idea

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty Important stuff!

Post  Kara Gordon Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:36 pm

ChrissyMaes wrote:It is definitely more important to protect endagered and threatened species from extinction rather than protecting the rights of individuals to visit and learn about the wildlife on the islands. Humans will without a doubt be able to survive without being on or visiting the Galopogos Islands. As for some of the animals on the islands, they will not be able to survive with the humans being there because humans bring pollution and trash that harms the animals' habitat. I think it's good that they are trying to go green and create less waste, but that may not be enough to save the animals.
I agree with you that it is more important to protect the wildlife than to learn about it. I think that there is still a way for people to learn about the wildlife there without harming. One such way would be to allow a few in to make documentaries, that way people can still learn about the wildlilfe while at the same time being respectful.

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty Great Idea!

Post  Kara Gordon Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Erika Edmonds wrote:
I think that only the people who take care of the animals and the natives should be allowed to stay. People should use other material available to them to learn about the wildlife there. If they want to see giant turtles they should go to the zoo closest to them so that they do not disrupt the turtles on the Galapagos Island.

Kara Gordon

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty Protect the wildlife

Post  ROBBYECANADA Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:35 pm

1. In your opinion, which of the following is more important:
A. protecting endangered & threatened species from extinction even if some people may
B. protecting the rights of individuals to visit & learn about the wildlife on the
Defend your selection.
I think that A is more important because even if people can't visit the site or learn the specifics about it, they should still know its basic needs: to protect species that are endangered or in fear of being endangered. If people just focus on themselves then animals can become extinct. Any species becoming extinct is a very bad thing; it effects everything else as a result. Protecting wildlife that can't protect their selves should be a human responsibility.

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty galapagos

Post  Devin McCullough Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:35 pm

Honestly I understood only half of what the video was talking about. In my opinion protecting endangeres & threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands. I think this is more important because people are the reason that most species are becoming endagered & threatened. We don't need the species to decline anymore than they have already.

Devin McCullough

Back to top Go down

Post  ROBBYECANADA Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:44 pm

brianadreid16 wrote:
I agree humans do think too highly of themselves. I really don't understand why this is even in question because I think if the situation were switched and we were the species possible going extinct we wouldn't even think about it; we would protect ourselves. Humans do have the voice so let's all start using it.

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

Post  ROBBYECANADA Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Devin McCullough wrote:Honestly I understood only half of what the video was talking about. In my opinion protecting endangeres & threatened species from extinction even if some people may not be able to visit & learn about the wildlife on the Galapagos Islands. I think this is more important because people are the reason that most species are becoming endagered & threatened. We don't need the species to decline anymore than they have already.
What didn't you understand about the video? lol! Humans are slowly killing the animals living in the Galopogas Islands. If we just stop our activities in this area then we can save the endangered wildlife there; these species are unique and humans are responsible for protecting them from extinction. I think the choice in this matter is obvious: Protect the species that can't protect themselves!

ROBBYECANADA

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty Galapagos reponse

Post  Trey Neal Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:13 pm

camenistic strickland wrote:Duh! Why wouldn't we protect the endangered species that were on the Galapagos Islands for decades and centuries before humans. This sounds harsh but if things get out of hand the local economy will have to take a pause, because living things can't be renewed once their gone, naturally that is. Cars should be rare if not eliminated with only motorcycles and the use of commercial trucks, or maybe those mini cars that you'd find in Tokyo. Also make sure development is limited given its ecological importance. All together this is a no brainer, save the animals. If just a few of those species die and its because of humans being on the island, something is seriously wrong, and I mean it. The animals were there first and I feel we as the 'most intelligent race' need to respect that. study afro
I agree with you on that we should help the animals that are already there but, your method for cars is a little harsh Suspect

Trey Neal

Back to top Go down

3rd Hour - Humans Threaten the Galapagos Islands Empty Question 1. A

Post  Lara Hamdan Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:43 pm

OF course protecting the life of those endangered species should be more imprtant. If more tourists are allowed to come on the island than they would die. Humans contribute to the animals dying in the Galopogas Islands, and the quicker they die, the less people would want to come anyway. I think that only people who are specialized in taking care of the animals should be there, and for the tourist that want to see the species, i think there should a a time twice a year where they let people visit the islands and explore the naimals, like shark week at the zoo, they are on display that one week, its a win/win deal. The animals would be saved on the islands, and the tourists can come visit. Very Happy

Lara Hamdan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lara Hamdan Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:47 pm

[quote="ChrissyMaes"]

I agree with you C.Maes:)
No matter what we do, going green isnt just the answer. We should limit the number of humans on the islands, and by doing so we would reduce much pollution as you stated, such as from the cars, shops, etc.

Lara Hamdan

Back to top Go down

Post  Lara Hamdan Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:50 pm

[quote="Logan Huddleston1"]
You're right Logan. The year is 2011, and we have access to the internet and that can teach us about anything we even wanted to learn or know about. The animals need there habitat and not evenry animal can become an exotic species. Also if humans really wanted to see the naimals they could go to a zoo, or look pictures up online.

Lara Hamdan

Back to top Go down

Post  Devin McCullough Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:29 pm

ROBBYECANADA wrote:1. In your opinion, which of the following is more important:
Defend your selection.
I think that A is more important because even if people can't visit the site or learn the specifics about it, they should still know its basic needs: to protect species that are endangered or in fear of being endangered. If people just focus on themselves then animals can become extinct. Any species becoming extinct is a very bad thing; it effects everything else as a result. Protecting wildlife that can't protect their selves should be a human responsibility.

I agree robbye. Protecting wildlife that can't protect their selves should be our responsibility. Especially when we are the reason for the majority of them.

Devin McCullough

Back to top Go down

Post  Devin McCullough Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:44 pm

Erika Edmonds wrote:
Protecting endangered and threatened species fro extinction is far more important than protecting the rights of tourists. that check and make sure that those animals are okay. But if you're just going there as a tourist on a family vacation, it shouldn't be allowed because of the pollution and increased energy consumption. Animals were not put on Earth for the entertainment of people. So...instead of going to Ecuador to look at giant turtles, watch finding nemo and imagine you are there.

Erica that was a really good way of putting that "Animals were not put on Earth for the entertainment of people." That is very true and that the only people that should be allowed to visit are the conservationists. Very well said.

Devin McCullough

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next