H.Biology Discussion Board 2011-2012
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5th Hour - Chief Seattle

+20
Hayz.Adkison
kurt.ragan
Cheli Foster
ssaraheadess
Azia Aldridge
arielaskew
Ben Johnson
Arock iHurdle
lindsay-moody
chrisprincivalli
Zach Huhmann
serenasomerville
BriannaMoore
maryamnewman
Chopper789
KristinaRider
ScubaSteve.Smith
BrittanyE
DanManzella
Admin
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

5th Hour - Chief Seattle - Page 2 Empty Re: 5th Hour - Chief Seattle

Post  Arock iHurdle Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:03 pm

Zach Huhmann wrote:
ScubaSteve.Smith wrote:Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect.

Chief Seattle had a lot of meaningful things to say. Everything he had to say made since. In my opinion everything he was talking about reminded me of karma. "What goes around, comes back around" is a saying that i have always heard. This relates to what we talk about in class because whatever happens to any organism in the food web, affects all organisms in the food web.

Karma does what Karma wants. We are getting kicked back for what we are doing to the environment.
Steve I see your point about the Karma. If one does wrong to someone else, its going to come back to them. Chief Seattle indirectly says this about mankind. Great point Scubaswag.

Arock iHurdle

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Chief Seattle - Page 2 Empty Intertwined

Post  Ben Johnson Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:09 pm

When Chief Seattle said "Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect." I thought about it and really understood what he was saying. When we do things to the earth we are accually hurting ourselves. We breathe the oxygen in the air, eat food from the ground, and drink water that comes from mother nature. We are connected with the earth whether we like it or not, and all we are doing is destroying ourselves. People should think about what they are accually doing before they act.

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Johnson Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:12 pm

serenasomerville wrote:when cheif seattle says"All things share the same breath - the beast, the tree, the man... the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports". i totally agree. the cheif is tryin g to say that we all non-living and living things share the same air that has been in the air since the earth was first made. from the past to the future we all will be breathing the same air. we are much diffrent we are all the same,

i agree with what your saying in the aspect that we are all the same because we are accually breathing the air people have breathed thousands of years ago

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Johnson Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:13 pm

Zach Huhmann wrote:i agree with Chief Seattle saying, "we are apart of the earth and it's apart of us" because what we are doing to the earth is slowly not if it is a ready happening to us. we are polluting most if not all of the plant and ever so slowly those actions are polluting ourselves. i also agree with what he said about, "human kind has not woven the web of life. we are but one thread with in it. whatever we do to to the web we do to ourselves" him saying that is what we would say now is that we are killing ourselves. what he said is coming back to get us, like karma.

Karma is definitally how i would describe it too, but also kind of not because we are doing it to ourselves, the earth isnt doing anything to us.

Ben Johnson

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Chief Seattle - Page 2 Empty Web of Life

Post  arielaskew Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:44 pm

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
All things connect.
This quote is very relatable to what we've talked about this week in how it relates to the fact that humans didnt create the web of life but are strands of the web and affect whatever takes place to organisms in the web by our constant changes in the environment

arielaskew

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Chief Seattle - Page 2 Empty One smart man.

Post  Azia Aldridge Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:57 pm

First off, he is very smart. He thinks outside the box, and that is what I like about it. "All things have the same breath - the beast, the tree, the man...the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports, said Chief Seattle. I agree with him when he said that. We all live together as a whole, each non-living and living things inhale and exhale the same oxygen/ carbon dixode. The same typd of oxygen that the man and beast is inhaling the tree is in haling it to. So I do agree when those words came out his mouth.

Azia Aldridge

Back to top Go down

Post  ssaraheadess Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:00 am

"Man does not weave this web of life. He is merely a strand of it. Whatever he does
to the web, he does to himself."

This quotation can easily relate to the effect pollution has on ecosystems. If the plants are being polluted, the animals that eat that are polluted, and then the animals that eat that are polluted even more. Pollution is going to reach us, whether we like it or not, and odds are, we're gonna get the biggest chunk off it unless we all go vegetarian. But like most Americans, I like my meat, so I'm polluting myself. Actually, I'm grossed out now. Like I'm in a way eating smog... Ew.

I really believe that if we (as in the world, not just America) stop being so power hungry, the world would be in a better shape. Because of us wanting all this power and domination, we've destroyed cultures, populations, our economies, even ourselves. We really are one with the Earth. Without it, we wouldn't even be existing now, so how some people believe our actions don't actually affect us kinda amazes me. It seems selfish and insensitive to me. One way or another, we're all connected. If one organism goes out, it could mean the fallout of all humanity.

ssaraheadess

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Chief Seattle - Page 2 Empty Definantly not boring!

Post  Cheli Foster Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:49 am

Dear Bulletin,

This quote just really get the wheels of my brain turning.
Man does not weave this web of life. He is merely a strand of it. Whatever he does
to the web, he does to himself.
I completly agree with this quote. For some reasin man, ourseles, seem to think on this notion that we created this Earth and have full reign. When honestly, we dont! We did not place the rivers, did not lay the mountains into place, nor did we create the continents. Man did not invent the Earth. The Earth invinted man. All of this wasting away our resources, water, food, fossil fuels, is not only hurting the Earth, It hurts ourselves. We are and have killed off specific parts of the food chain. In turn it has DEFINANTLY affected the rest of the web of life. Man is so self centered that we think the Earth revovles around us. Well, it doesnt. Chief Seattle clearly stated that. Also, whoever said this guy was boring was wrong. I actually found it quite moving and intriguing. So I'd like to know why you felt that way.

Chel

Cheli Foster

Back to top Go down

Post  DanManzella Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:42 pm

Ben Johnson wrote:
When Chief Seattle said "Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect." I thought about it and really understood what he was saying. When we do things to the earth we are accually hurting ourselves. We breathe the oxygen in the air, eat food from the ground, and drink water that comes from mother nature. We are connected with the earth whether we like it or not, and all we are doing is destroying ourselves. People should think about what they are accually doing before they act.

I agree because what we do it's our fault, not mother natures. We are destroying our environment/ourselves. And we are to blame.

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

Post  DanManzella Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Cheli Foster wrote:Dear Bulletin,

This quote just really get the wheels of my brain turning.
Man does not weave this web of life. He is merely a strand of it. Whatever he does
to the web, he does to himself.
I completly agree with this quote. For some reasin man, ourseles, seem to think on this notion that we created this Earth and have full reign. When honestly, we dont! We did not place the rivers, did not lay the mountains into place, nor did we create the continents. Man did not invent the Earth. The Earth invinted man. All of this wasting away our resources, water, food, fossil fuels, is not only hurting the Earth, It hurts ourselves. We are and have killed off specific parts of the food chain. In turn it has DEFINANTLY affected the rest of the web of life. Man is so self centered that we think the Earth revovles around us. Well, it doesnt. Chief Seattle clearly stated that. Also, whoever said this guy was boring was wrong. I actually found it quite moving and intriguing. So I'd like to know why you felt that way.

Chel

I also agree because Earth created Man. Not the other way around and we should respect Earth for all that it's done.

DanManzella

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Chief Seattle - Page 2 Empty I Keep forgetting About this....

Post  kurt.ragan Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:24 pm

when watching the video and hearing what he had to say, he put what we learned into class into one sentence of why we shouldnt do it. when thinking about how what we do to the web of life we do to ourself. if we pollute the water and fish die, then we will not have any good fish to eat. if we cut down trees, we will not have any living trees for other animals and even for the beauty of them.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

Post  kurt.ragan Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:31 pm

Ben Johnson wrote:

I agree with what you said. when we hurt and harm the earth with pollution and other things we are also hurting ourselves because we end up taking in all the pollution we put out.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

Post  kurt.ragan Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:43 pm

ScubaSteve.Smith wrote:Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
All things connect.

Chief Seattle had a lot of meaningful things to say. Everything he had to say made since. In my opinion everything he was talking about reminded me of karma. "What goes around, comes back around" is a saying that i have always heard. This relates to what we talk about in class because whatever happens to any organism in the food web, affects all organisms in the food web.

i agree with what you said about the food web. whenever any little thing goes wrong in a food web it can affect everything else in it.

kurt.ragan

Back to top Go down

Post  BrittanyE Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:07 pm

All things connect.

I agree with this 100%. we don't control what happens to different species. we are nothing but a component of the cycle.

BrittanyE

Back to top Go down

Post  Azia Aldridge Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:16 pm

KristinaRider wrote:
BrittanyE wrote:When chief Seattle says "All things share the same breath - the beast, the tree, the man...
the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports." I agree. what he is saying is that in some way we all living or non-living in someway we are connected. all things share the same breath whether it be carbon dioxide or oxygen it is the same air being used. humans and animals use oxygen the trees and plants use carbon dioxide. we recycle the air we use but it is all the same.
I agree with you. I think that we all should treat the Earth with respect, because this is our home.
I also agree with you. Everything uses the same thing, but somethings uses different things in different ways. Most of all we all use it to live.

Azia Aldridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Azia Aldridge Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:24 pm

maryamnewman wrote:
Chopper789 wrote:This quote by Chief Seattle reflects upon how whatever humanity tries to control, the results and/or consequences can end up changing for the better or the worse. Humanity continues to view the positives to the point where they ignore the negatives and do not properly deal with them. So they simply accept the negatives and chose not to take action even tough they have the power to do so.

Ive never thought of the idea this way but fully agree with the point that you are making. We are clearly trying to manipulate, rather than work with, the very world that was given

I agree with you when you say humans continues to view the positive and never look at the negatives. I think that they need to look at both sides expectually the negative sides, because the negative side can effect the positive sides. It can also over come the poitive side.

Azia Aldridge

Back to top Go down

Post  arielaskew Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:16 pm

KristinaRider wrote:Chief Seattle says "All things share the same breath-the beast, the tree, the man... the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports." To me this means that we should not pollute our planet because it will have a great affect on other things such as animals that live on Earth. We all share the Earth, therefore we should respect it. It kind of bothered me when the government was asking to buy the Indian's land. Indians have been mistreated ever since the first Europeans settled here. The Indians were here first and i think that we should respect that along with respecting the planet. Very Happy
I agree with you because all the pollution we put in the air not only has a great affect on animals and the Earth but also harm us by putting so many chemicals into the air we breathe.

arielaskew

Back to top Go down

Post  arielaskew Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Arock iHurdle wrote:After watching the brief video about Chief Seattle and his plea for his people and mankind as a whole, I totally agree with his argument. He says "All things share the same breath ... with all the life it supports" and this quote really makes a statement. Metaphorically this is true because even though we are all different we still inhabit the same worl and if we are going to go on with stability and flourish as a species (Homo-Sapien-Sapien), then we need to treat each other as equals.
I agree with your statement because we take advantage to easily of what we have and mistreat others for what they may not have.

arielaskew

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:26 pm

Chopper789 wrote:This quote by Chief Seattle reflects upon how whatever humanity tries to control, the results and/or consequences can end up changing for the better or the worse. Humanity continues to view the positives to the point where they ignore the negatives and do not properly deal with them. So they simply accept the negatives and chose not to take action even tough they have the power to do so.

Well said and very deep, but a lot of people do not understand how much their actions affect everyone! But then again we do live in a very selfish environment..

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

Post  lindsay-moody Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:29 pm

BrittanyE wrote:When chief Seattle says "All things share the same breath - the beast, the tree, the man...
the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports." I agree. what he is saying is that in some way we all living or non-living in someway we are connected. all things share the same breath whether it be carbon dioxide or oxygen it is the same air being used. humans and animals use oxygen the trees and plants use carbon dioxide. we recycle the air we use but it is all the same.

Just like you say, we all breathe the same air, so shouldn't all creatures and parts of nature get some level of respect?

lindsay-moody

Back to top Go down

Post  BriannaMoore Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:34 pm

[quote="arielaskew"]
Arock iHurdle wrote:After watching the brief video about Chief Seattle and his plea for his people and mankind as a whole, I totally agree with his argument. He says "All things share the same breath ... with all the life it supports" and this quote really makes a statement. Metaphorically this is true because even though we are all different we still inhabit the same worl and if we are going to go on with stability and flourish as a species (Homo-Sapien-Sapien), then we need to treat each other as equals.

I wish we were all treated as equal but it will never happen because as long as people don't step out of their boxes and stop believing that every PROVED statement as an opinion then we are doomed Suspect

BriannaMoore

Back to top Go down

Post  ScubaSteve.Smith Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:57 pm

BriannaMoore wrote:Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
All things connect.
For the past couple of weeks we have discussed that everything we do whether its directly or indirectly it effects us all. If we do not make a change or at least try to solve any new issues that arise in our environment we will regret it later.Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but by how we react to what happens.
Not by what life brings to us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events and outcomes. flower
Bre, you are completely right, but the issue is people don't pay it any attention. This is like reading between the lines in a story, and people rarely take the time out to do that.

ScubaSteve.Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  ScubaSteve.Smith Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:02 pm

I completely agree with Arock. Its like the saying an"Eye for an Eye". Treat others the way you would want to be treated. Good statement Ihurdle.!

ScubaSteve.Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  Hayz.Adkison Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:13 pm

All things connect.

I agree because karma is just the right word for this type of situation and how what happens to one organism effects the whole food web.

Hayz.Adkison

Back to top Go down

5th Hour - Chief Seattle - Page 2 Empty big pimpin cheif seattle

Post  Cassandra Carpenter Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:18 pm

I totally agree with you, what we do affects everyone we must do our best to do our part.

Cassandra Carpenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next